The Wee Chipper Club

TimberCutterDartmoor

I used to hire one of those regularly, and even thought of buying one. Then they became hard to find, and the Jo-Beaus came onto the market. I larfed and larfed at the J-B then, a toy chipper and all that. Now i have one and love it.

It only cost me about £600 with new blades and bearings, paid for its self over and over. The only problem is the low discharge, think it would get in tighter places than the others due to you can upend it like a wheel barrow.

saw this set up when i was over working in Holland last month, thought you guys might like the idea. in pic 3 you can see when the chipper is working its lifted onto another lock pin which lowers the hopper. to help with the nose weight on the trailer there's a couple of tractor weights in the rear of the trailer, which is a tipper.

Think you will have to watch the trailer nose weight with this setup?

Heres a picture of our trailer platform. This was the only time the jo beau has been on the platform, too much weight over rear of trailer, which made the trailer wag its tail over 50mph. The platform is fine for the muck truck or stumpgrinder, prefered method to carry jo beau in back of pick up.

Can I ask how heavy is the JB? Did it wag much when the trailer was full?

Matt, its about selling a service, nothing more, you sell tree work, and clearing up, so sell the benefits of keeping chip as mulch too. I rarely remove arisings from site now, and they want to give/sell their logs away if they dont need them. The tree belonged to them standing, so its theirs on the deck, unless they dont want it.Micro-chippers have their place, but there are obviously times when they just dont cut the mustard. As you say certain jobs they cost more time than they save, and hiirig or buying another machine is the answer. I've had very few trees that the Jo-Beau cant deal with, but you have to weigh up the money saved on extra labour to drag through awkward passages etc over the convenience of blowing the chip into a corner. Even with bigger tracked machines, the clients now want to keep the chippings to retain moisture and suppress weed growth.

I dont believe I've ever lost time with the extra dressing out and stacking, you just have to think for the little machine as you go along.

With a little set of ramps, you'll easily put the chipper in a small van, or on a small trailer.

as andy says,, cut for the chipper while you work, it ads no extra time just get used to it.

and stand there feeding the damn thing.......or price in a groundy and make him do the dragging.....

and raking all the chip to the front of the chip box coz it cant spit it far enough......

I still cant see the attraction, and hasnt the king of the wee chippers just bought a dirty great tarcked machine:sneaky2::sneaky2:

Oh Tommer, dont you share our enthusiasm for the wee beasties?:001_rolleyes::001_smile: I use a variety of chippers depending on the job in hand, up to the Schliesing 220 tracked model, and of course it horses for courses. To compare the Jo-Beau to a bigger machine is unfair, you dont expect an MS200 to fell a 7'dbh tree do you? But where it comes into its own is in those horrible tight access places where the drag is a real pita. I know it works out well for me when needed, and its saved me paying an extra bod on basic chipping duties. I know it more than paid for itself in the 1st couple of months I had it, and it will always have a place in my schedule.

Yeah- but i have subbied for a JB owner, and i was just climbing and the damn thing wound me up to top pitch....it wouldnt get down the garden path, it wouldnt fire the chip past the halfway point on the landy bed, and you had to stand there feeding the thing as it has no feed rollers. I would rather get the customer to pay for a groundy, and make money off the groundy. :sneaky2::blushing:

Ady- didnt i rent you my groundy once and he had to drag chip up hill to your greenmech:lol::lol: