Advice on emergency road closure

Ben Y

Hi all, little advice needed here as not something I’ve had experience with.

Consultant has done a survey on a very large oak that overhangs property and fairly busy road. Noted some recent cracks and major decay, put a 7 day notice on it for obvious reasons.

We’ve got to close a portion of the road so we can get a grapple truck near the tree (unsafe to climb).

Contacted a TM company who have provided me with a quote of £5/600 to have all signs etc in place for the day. I’ve also asked them to liaise with the council to notify them, I’m aware it’s normally a long procedure but in this case we have to get the tree down ASAP. I’ve provided the TM company with the tree report so they can persue this with LA.

I’ve also given the council a 5 day notice for urgent works.

The quote has been accepted and work booked within two weeks. I’m going to call the council Monday and talk to them regarding the closure too.

Are they likely to charge me for the closure? I assumed that everything coming from the TM company would carry more weight rather than trying to do it myself, but I’m concerned there may be some hefty costs coming my way that I may have overlooked.

All advice greatly appreciated!

Yes it will cost but probably not hugely as it's an urgent closure. Google temporary Road closure for whichever council is involved. Planned road closure is often thousands but Urgent is often much less Essex is £140 according to their website.

• Like 2

I would have thought it was urgent too as work is booked for 19th which is soonest we can get there, which puts us well outside normal procedure. East Herts seem to suggest it’s £689 for an emergency, valid for 21 days but you can’t apply in advance.

• Like 1

Hi all, little advice needed here as not something I’ve had experience with.

Consultant has done a survey on a very large oak that overhangs property and fairly busy road. Noted some recent cracks and major decay, put a 7 day notice on it for obvious reasons.

We’ve got to close a portion of the road so we can get a grapple truck near the tree (unsafe to climb).
Contacted a TM company who have provided me with a quote of £5/600 to have all signs etc in place for the day. I’ve also asked them to liaise with the council to notify them, I’m aware it’s normally a long procedure but in this case we have to get the tree down ASAP. I’ve provided the TM company with the tree report so they can persue this with LA.

I’ve also given the council a 5 day notice for urgent works.

The quote has been accepted and work booked within two weeks. I’m going to call the council Monday and talk to them regarding the closure too.

Are they likely to charge me for the closure? I assumed that everything coming from the TM company would carry more weight rather than trying to do it myself, but I’m concerned there may be some hefty costs coming my way that I may have overlooked.

All advice greatly appreciated!

Get your chapter 8 training.
[emoji106]
  • Like 1

I would imagine costs would be included in the tm companies quote? 
Whenever I’ve used tm (granted only every needed single lane closure) it’s included informing council and sorting out paperwork and been considerably less than that. 

I would have thought so too. Quote didn’t mention council liaising. Just asked me to send over details and tree report to their (TM’s) planning dept. And they would liaise. What I’m concerned about is them coming back and saying, all liaised but it’s £1000, which I’d have to go to client with after they’ve already accepted quote.

Emergency tm means just that roll up on the day and inform the highways what’s going on we do three a week you need to contact highways yourself and talk it through    They will be able to give input usually they will give you times for work usually after nine and finish by 3.30 as you are not digging up the road if you are closing the whole road you are down for all diversion costs you traffic management price seems cheap

• Like 1

Emergency tm means just that roll up on the day and inform the highways what’s going on we do three a week you need to contact highways yourself and talk it through    They will be able to give input usually they will give you times for work usually after nine and finish by 3.30 as you are not digging up the road if you are closing the whole road you are down for all diversion costs you traffic management price seems cheap

Cheers. Just closing a portion of it (10-15m) both lanes. Traffic can still use the road either side.
If I call highways and inform then a two weeks before is it still an emergency in their eyes?
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1