Air fed helmets

sime42

6 hours ago, DuncanH said:

For woodturning I use the 3m Versaflo 300 series system with their 306 helmet but it's not the cheapest. It's comfortable and it filters to TH3. It's much, much better than the JSP Powercap which I used to have.

Also note, there was discussion on various woofturning groups a couple of years ago about the advertised filtration classification of the JSP and Axminster units. JSP class them as TH1P and then say that they're equivalent to FFP2, but the 2 classifications can't be compared as they're for different types of masks (I believe the TH classification system includes inwards leakage). The Advertising Standards Agency ruled twice against one particular shop who was miss-selling the PowerCap as suitable for hardwood dust. Axminster refunded several people who claimed against them for miss-selling their version. 

Can you explain what it filters out, sizewise and how long the filters last, or are they cleanable?

For woodturning I use the 3m Versaflo 300 series system with their 306 helmet but it's not the cheapest. It's comfortable and it filters to TH3. It's much, much better than the JSP Powercap which I used to have.

Also note, there was discussion on various woofturning groups a couple of years ago about the advertised filtration classification of the JSP and Axminster units. JSP class them as TH1P and then say that they're equivalent to FFP2, but the 2 classifications can't be compared as they're for different types of masks (I believe the TH classification system includes inwards leakage). The Advertising Standards Agency ruled twice against one particular shop who was miss-selling the PowerCap as suitable for hardwood dust. Axminster refunded several people who claimed against them for miss-selling their version. 
Thanks Duncan..This is good info that I would probably never have known otherwise.

The moisture is a slight issue but no biggy. They have valves in that direct the airflow correctly and an moisture will drain out the front of a 3m 6000. I used to have to wear them for 11.5 hours a day doing fuel tank work etc, they aren't as uncomfortable as people think. 

That being said, the air fed masks are more comfortable but you need to pay more for them, you need the air filtration and water removal equipment and you need a good sized compressor that can either supply far more air than you need and shut off to cool or can run at 100% duty cycle which is usually a screw compressor. If you try to hook up a small compressor (under 100L at least) then you're going to be breathing hot, humid, oily air that is really bad for you. 
What I had in mind was the self contained jobs like some guys have mentioned, as made by Trend or 3M etc. So there won't be any need for a separate compressor.

I like the idea of a non air fed, for the much lower price and simplicity but as a "beardy" it would never be completely effective. I really can't be bothered to go back to shaving.
I'm currently favouring a Trend airshield pro. I know they have a tendency to slip forward when you're bending over, (I've used my father's a few times and it is annoying), but I can't really justify the outlay on a 3M versaflo for only occasion use. It certainly seems a much better idea to have most of the weight on your belt rather than the helmet.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, openspaceman said:

Can you explain what it filters out, sizewise and how long the filters last, or are they cleanable?

I can't find a spec for the size of particle filtered out (I don't think it's part of the TH1-TH3 classification), but the standard filter will remove dust particles. There's a cheap replaceable pre-filter which removes larger particles and then a more expensive main/fine filter. I've never had to replace the main filter in 2+ years, although I've not been turning much recently. You can also get particle filters which will reduce gas or organic vapour exposure but I've not had a reason to use one. I think I've replaced maybe a couple of the pre-filters in 2 years (you might be able to vacuum/blow them clean if you want to save a little expense).
How long the filters last will depend on if you have any other form of dust control - I have an extractor which I only use when sanding and a home made ambient filter (with a fan pulling air through a couple of pleated paper filter).

I was lucky to get my Versaflo parts separately on Ebay - the helmet was unused and the fan unit/battery was sold as possibly faulty (it worked first time!). I got the lot for less than half price.

If you're comparing the Powercap, Trend and Versaflo, TH1 has 10% inward leakage of air (including any dust), TH2 has 2% inward leakage and TH3 has 0.2% inward leakage.

The only disadvantage of the Versaflo and similar units is that the air intake is at the base of your back and if you suffer from flatulence it can sometimes be unpleasant!

• Thanks 1