Work ๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ™‚

SamanthaSunny

12 hours ago, Will C said:

ย 

We have a range of sizes depending on the job, as a groundie any thing up to 50cc will do most things (any bigger you are lugging extra weight thatโ€™s not needed),ย the 261 is a nice size that will do felling work as well.

or if you want really light a back handle 201 is good but a little pricey to start but they do punch well above there weight.
Equally donโ€™t be put off by the 200 and 220 battery saws, there great for basic ground work but wonโ€™t keep up with a 261 etc when you start a felling 15inch plus stems. bear in mind you wonโ€™t have fuel cost which can offset some of the purchase cost but youย will want 2 batteries For a full day and that may struggle if you need to ring a stem up at end of the day.
ย 

if you can afford to Look at the pro saws (of any brand) they will cost you more but last longer giving better value for money longer term -unless budget dictates avoid the 170 & 180 range of stihls, they are throw away homeowner.

ย 

There are equal husky or echo saws but I donโ€™t know them as we deal with the Stihl dealer but that doesnโ€™t mean they are not worth a look.

ย 

My Sam will work with all our saws as needed, lighter the better, big saw for big jobs but no need to knacker your self lugging a big saw about when itโ€™s not needed.

Thanks so much for taking the time to help me Will and I really do appreciate it ๐Ÿ™‚ I will hold back for a few weeks until I have spent a few days on site and have a look at the chainsaws being used and how they feel to hold. Until I can get my chainsaw ticket I wonโ€™t be allowed to use one but hopefully i can get that ticketย as soon as they start in January. Itโ€™s nice to know your wife can use all the chainsaws and i would love to meet her in the future ๐Ÿ˜ I have not seen any new posts from females since I joined Arbtalk.ย 

13 hours ago, Dan Maynard said:

It's going to depend on the firm, the people I sub to have quite a few part time groundies who turn up with no power tools. I also climb so bring my own climbing kit and I prefer my own saws which I bring every day sharp and full of fuel.

You don't have saw tickets yet so it's also going to be kind of discretionary as to how much chainsaw work they let you do. There is a lot of dragging and chipping branches, carrying wood and raking to do, some days I do no sawing at all.

I genuinely donโ€™t mind what Iโ€™m dragging about because Iโ€™m starting from zero knowledge so I can learn from watching and listeningย to the team. I have decided Iย wonโ€™t take a penny in wages because Iโ€™m dead weight at the moment and Iโ€™m just grateful to be getting training ๐Ÿ™‚ I must try not to ask too many questions ๐Ÿ˜ฌ Iโ€™m too enthusiastic at the moment so hopefully a day trudging in mud and dragging heavy branches will curb that ๐Ÿ˜‚

Edited by SamanthaSunny

12 hours ago, Doug Tait said:

I wouldn't worry too much about buying a saw just now Sam, your new boss will have one already!

ย 

If you're going to spend any money at all, spend it on decent PPE. Priority for me would be a comfy, well fitted helmet with chipper ear protection

Ah itโ€™s a good job you told me about chipper ear protection because I never thought of that ๐Ÿ˜ฌ I would ask the people selling them which is best but I think recommendations from people who actually work in them is better. What do you wear Doug x

12 hours ago, Mrblue5000 said:

Well done Sam, looking forward to hearing how it goes. Let hubby buy you a silky saw for Christmas, then you can start on Boxing day. Good luckโ˜˜๏ธย 

Awwww Iโ€™m hinting like mad about being desperate for good PPE Mr Blue but he thinks Iโ€™m crazy because I earn good wages. Plus heโ€™s Scottish and tighter than two coats of paint ๐Ÿ˜‚ so I will get a box of chocolates again I guess โ˜น๏ธ

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rough Hewn said:

Yes! This.
Get a silky saw.
Nothing else like one.
emoji106.png
ย 

Thanks Rough ๐Ÿ™‚ I am working all the overtime I can get so I can buy everything I may need. Itโ€™s quite interesting watching all the videos on chainsawย demonstrations, some of them make wood look like butter ๐Ÿคช I think all my wages will end up being spent in Arb lol ๐Ÿ˜‚ย 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SamanthaSunny said:

Thanks Rough ๐Ÿ™‚ I am working all the overtime I can get so I can buy everything I may need. Itโ€™s quite interesting watching all the videos on chainsawย demonstrations, some of them make wood look like butter ๐Ÿคช I think all my wages will end up being spent in Arb lol ๐Ÿ˜‚ย 

Sam . Its quite satisfying when you have a plume of chip flying up in the air from your saw as you reach over into the far side of a log .ย  Means you know how to sharpen up . ๐Ÿ™‚

• Like 3

2 hours ago, SamanthaSunny said:

Ah itโ€™s a good job you told me about chipper ear protection because I never thought of that ๐Ÿ˜ฌ I would ask the people selling them which is best but I think recommendations from people who actually work in them is better. What do you wear Doug x

Got husqvarna ground and climbing helmets at the moment and I like them both but I wouldn't suggest a particular brand is best for you.

ย 

Try some out, pick one that fits well.

I've had helmets that bobble around constantly and fall off when you bend over, and the muffs don't seal well, it's annoying!

ย 

You can get the normal spec muffs or chipper spec which are a higher level of protection. In my opinion our ears are fragile (tinnitus :-() so I'd recommend chipper spec, you'll likely be around noisy stuff a lotย 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Stubby said:

Sam . Its quite satisfying when you have a plume of chip flying up in the air from your saw as you reach over into the far side of a log .ย  Means you know how to sharpen up . ๐Ÿ™‚

I can see why chainsaws are great with trees but what about husbands lol ๐Ÿ˜‚ Iโ€™m not afraid of being caught because I can plead insanity ๐Ÿคช๐Ÿคช๐Ÿคช๐Ÿคช๐Ÿคชย