Work 🙂🙂🙂🙂🙂🙂🙂

SamanthaSunny

On 20/12/2020 at 14:22, SamanthaSunny said:

I definitely do not want to give them the wrong impression Les lol 😂 I’m happily married 😬 er well I’m married anyway 😁 I’m there to work not pole dance 😇 I would love to know how many times women have slapped you 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

.... Not enough times, obvs  😁  K

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Dan Maynard said:

Don't sell yourself short, no reason to be dead weight - there will just be some parts of the job you can do and some parts you can't. Get on with the parts you can and you'll be a valuable part of the team, take home your wages for that.

I've quite often done jobs with inexperienced people on the team, one of the lads I've had working for me is a freelance film maker (so he's happy for casual work this year). No qualifications in arb but he gets stuck in and things move along, earns his wage as much as the next man.

Spot on dan and how many guys have we all come across over the years who expect a days pay just to turn up. Sam your keen as mustard and as dan says your working and get paid like everyone else on the team.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, youngsbury said:

So would you need to lay out chainsaw boots straight away if not using a saw ? Quite a big outlay !! 

It would be a big outlay.

There's been some good advice given regarding PPE and saws, but I think for first day on the job it's unnecessary to be wearing full kit and bringing own tools.

Don't see the need to be buying chainsaw boots until using one, just wear protective toe cap boots

Edited by Doug Tait
Wear Toe caps
  • Like 4

13 hours ago, Dan Maynard said:

Don't sell yourself short, no reason to be dead weight - there will just be some parts of the job you can do and some parts you can't. Get on with the parts you can and you'll be a valuable part of the team, take home your wages for that.

I've quite often done jobs with inexperienced people on the team, one of the lads I've had working for me is a freelance film maker (so he's happy for casual work this year). No qualifications in arb but he gets stuck in and things move along, earns his wage as much as the next man.

Awww thank you Dan 🥰 I’m a proud person and stubbornly so. I did say this to my new boss about not wanting a wage yet but he said the same as you so I will genuinely give him 110 percent and I can put the wages towards PPE and biscuits for the boys 🙂 It is a shame I did not live on the mainland then I could work with different companies because I assume you all have your own preferred way of doing things 😬 there is a lot of hate amongst business and who is good or bad. 

17 hours ago, Alexthetreesurgeon said:

Well done. My 2 cents is.... get a decent helmet, some chainsaw trousers, boots and a silky. Don’t worry about a chainsaw for a bit. It’s likely you won’t be chainsawing for a little while and if you are, you will prob start off doing a little processing with the firms groundsaw. Asking questions is groovy, the most important one being... “ is there anything I can do to help at the mo.” Sometimes groundying can be a bit stop start and will take a while to know when to go full beans or when to chill.  Another thing I think is important is don’t be afraid to say “I don’t know.” Clients may ask you awkward shit sometimes, like the scientific name of a species or more likely “ while you’re here can you just” and the worst thing is when a nervous groundy makes up some bullshit or talks you into work.  Just be truthful. “I’m new to this, ask the boss” Ask sensible relevant questions and colleagues will appreciate it.  It sounds like you have a decent work ethos so It sounds like you’ll do great. Get paid for it. But don’t ask superstar wages yet. Work ethic and willingness to graft/learn are far more important than technical knowledge at this stage. Alex

That’s really kind Alex x Thankyou so much for the advice 🙂 I’m really looking forward to shopping for my PPE as sad as that sounds 😬 I have been told my title will be BRANCH DRAGGER 😂😂😂 at least until I have any skills !!! I have been called worse. I am a little bit of a perfectionist so at least I will keep the site as clean as possible like outdoor housework, I’m hugely interested in the different cuts you all do and how you decide to take trees down as in where on earth do you start ? I have seen some post where the tree is above glass conservatory’s or has grown around power lines ! I could go on 🙂 it’s definitely dangerous and skilled work. Thanks again Alex x

• Like 1