Is milling hard on saws?

Paddy1000111

18 hours ago, Paddy1000111 said:

So I just went to my dealer and enquired about 881's. I was told in no uncertain terms that it won't pull anything over a 40", milling will kill it, it won't pull a 65" hyperskip and I need to buy an 880... 🤷🏼‍♂️😂

Probably had a couple of 880's in the back and no 881's yet .

• Like 2

Ah, that's a buggr. I have to mill 140cm that I know of but having the capacity to go bigger would have been nice too. I guess I will go with the 60" mill and 64" bar as that's meant to give a 142 cut so that should just do it. 

Price wise it's weird, PM60+64bar as a kit from chainsawbarsUK is 894+vat. From FRjones it's £695+vat. I can't see any difference minus a spare chain and it's definitely a panther mill. 
https://www.frjonesandson.co.uk/products/panther-64-chainsaw-mill-with-gb64-404-063-milling-bar-64/
and 
https://www.chainsawbars.co.uk/product/ppm-60-gb64-panther-horizon-heavy-chainsaw-mill-60150cm-with-gb-64163cm-milling-bar-404-063-180-drive-links-56142cm-max-cut-width/

Phone Rob.
His number is on the top on the website.
He’s a decent bloke too[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Well it definitely will be a challenge. I've explained to the guys that I have no experience so they're going to give me a hand to work it out and do it. Always start with low expectations eigh [emoji23]

Where you based mate?
You’re welcome to come have a go on my kit,
Bring yours, I’ll show you how to use it.
[emoji106]
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Rough Hewn said:

Where you based mate?
You’re welcome to come have a go on my kit,
Bring yours, I’ll show you how to use it.
emoji106.png

Thanks rough, some help sorting out my mill and getting a little experience definitely wouldn't be a bad thing. It seems that it's all on hold until the end of February though. Stihl dealers don't have saws, Mill dealers don't have bars 😂 Oh, I love Christmas so much. 🙄

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rough Hewn said:

Phone Rob.
His number is on the top on the website.
He’s a decent bloke tooemoji106.pngemoji106.pngemoji106.png

I was just going to say the same thing. I ordered a few Echo parts and didn't mention who I was, I had a little issue so phoned and after a long chat about all aspects of saws, he sorted it all out with no problems at all.

He is "Rob D" on this forum but best have a chat - prices online can be a starting point for some sites as once they are through the floor, there is no way back up.

• Like 2