Stihl KM-HL 145 Hedge Trimmer Head

Surfer Sam

On my second one this year, as spline gear went on last one.  I do tend to gun my tools but I recognize the sound, it's broken a tooth on the spline gear in a little over 2 months of (Not everyday) use.  Haven't even sharpened it yet.  Ran it once in the rain and it was knackered at the end of the day.   I know they don't like high revs but this is ridiculous and verging on not fit for purpose.  What's the commercial guarantee?  Three months?  It's still working just, but will give up in the next months or so by the sound of it.

Any other experiences?  Or recommendations for anything similar that has a bit more longevity?

I guess maintenance is the answer then.  Every 4 days or so though peak season?  Think I'd rather put my prices up and have a beer.  I'm a bit wary of over packing them with grease though as I killed an older model Stihl 135 degree head decades ago by doing that.  Literally went within the day.   I will open it up and have a look.  Did have fresh grease still on the nipple. 

Are the fixed head models more resilient for deciduous rough cutting work?  Maybe that's an option, not a great fan of wavy, rounded hedges with divots in them though.  Pity they're not financially viable to fix.  Have a fair collection of them now, old ones and new.  Probably at that age where nothing compares to the older HL75's and FS450's etc. but I remember talking to a few dealers when the new line of heads came out and they didn't hold out much hope for them then after taking them apart, compared to the older ones.  Maybe I'm just pessimistic and expect too much.  Sure the spline gear must be much the same as the older version.

You can’t overpack them with grease. No idea how you managed to kill it as it’s not physically possible.

I drill and tap the stihl grease plug for a nipple and give it a couple of pumps every few times we use it. 

Often when you open them up you will find grease emulsified everywhere except where you want it. They need regular grease. 

You might have seen fresh grease in the plug hole but it needs to be on the conrod so push it down with more fresh grease. Simples. 

• Like 3