Unpopular poplar pollards!

geoff

:cursing:

Priced a job this morning,client just moved into house,hubby showed me two nice big pops,part of a row at the back of the house estate,wants them re-pollarded(they have been done a good few times,so nice knuckles,yhe whole row are subject to TPO's),no probs here;

phone just rang,& it was Mrs. newocupant,'Actualy I want the trees out,but can you disregard the tpo & reduce the trees by 50% below the pollard points'?

' Erm no' retorts I Explaining the implications of disregarding TPO's.

Well,it would seem I am out of order in her eyes,& TPO's are a load of old tosh.

Pointed out that they should have thought about that before buying the place(very gently).

Think I just lost the job,fine with that,should I let the T.o. know of their intentions,methinks yes!

:cursing:

Priced a job this morning,client just moved into house,hubby showed me two nice big pops,part of a row at the back of the house estate,wants them re-pollarded(they have been done a good few times,so nice knuckles,yhe whole row are subject to TPO's),no probs here;

phone just rang,& it was Mrs. newocupant,'Actualy I want the trees out,but can you disregard the tpo & reduce the trees by 50% below the pollard points'?

' Erm no' retorts I Explaining the implications of disregarding TPO's.

Well,it would seem I am out of order in her eyes,& TPO's are a load of old tosh.

Pointed out that they should have thought about that before buying the place(very gently).

Think I just lost the job,fine with that,should I let the T.o. know of their intentions,methinks yes!

Lost count of how many jobs ive lost by just trying to do things right!, I would give TO a bell just to inform him/her of your concern, their ignorance is my bliss!!

put her out your mind geof, you might aswell fall out now rather than half way through it. Its not your problem anymore.

Absolutely right, better now than later!!

In the cycle of a tree surgeons life - college, work for someone else, freelance, own business, SWB i.e wind it down or diversify.

I'm at the own business stage comeing up 2 yrs. I've never had such a shock in my life as what its like dealing with the public. You only really hit this wall at the own business stage as at all the previous stages, your'e protected by somebody else having that responsibility. I blow them out at initial phone call stage if they do things like insist on a price without me seeing the job, or a number of other pointers I use to warn me of the 'cowboy customer'.

Whether you inform the TO or not is your decision, but your well out of it mate.

Probably should inform the TO but tbh I've had this loads of times ie lost a job because I wouldnt do it with permission but I've never informed the TO about it. Only reason is that I cba which is a bit of a poor showing :blushing:

Anyhow as above dont let it bother you, theres plenty more going on that you dont know about!

First off, there's no such thing as a NICE big repollarded pop. They are a shitehouse tree, full stop.

1) Chat to TO, explain intention, and your plan to persuade client to fell and re-plant with something decent.

2) Convince (arsehole) client that the above is the way forward (at premium price).

3) Obtain permission.

4) Fell (mucho £)

5) Replant decent heavy standard stocks (mucho £)

6) Happy TO, happy client, happy new trees, happy bank manager, happy days!

God I should have been a politician......:biggrin:

First off, there's no such thing as a NICE big repollarded pop. They are a shitehouse tree, full stop.

1) Chat to TO, explain intention, and your plan to persuade client to fell and re-plant with something decent.

2) Convince (arsehole) client that the above is the way forward (at premium price).

3) Obtain permission.

4) Fell (mucho £)

5) Replant decent heavy standard stocks (mucho £)

6) Happy TO, happy client, happy new trees, happy bank manager, happy days!

God I should have been a politician......:biggrin:

Getting past 2 is the hard bit.:001_smile: