Looking Free logs best to contact local businesses direct?

KeithL

Really? A product going to waste isn't the same as a waste material that is a by product of a process.  However go on, I'll run with it..  are pints a waste product that needs effort and often money too get rid of? And do they need to be surprised of swiftly to allow the business to continue to operate?

10 hours ago, neiln said:

Really? A product going to waste isn't the same as a waste material that is a by product of a process.  However go on, I'll run with it..  are pints a waste product that needs effort and often money too get rid of? And do they need to be surprised of swiftly to allow the business to continue to operate?

A byproduct of making beer is the spent malt. This is a waste product that is sold as animal feed.  Like logs it can of  course be given away for free.

Supply and demand and all that. 

4 hours ago, trigger_andy said:

A byproduct of making beer is the spent malt. This is a waste product that is sold as animal feed.  Like logs it can of  course be given away for free.

Brewers grains, it's the spent mash rather than malt which is in the beer, cows loved it.

I get my logs for no payment because they cost time and transport off a job. Once they get to the yard I don't get offered them.

55 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

Brewers grains, it's the spent mash rather than malt which is in the beer, cows loved it.

I get my logs for no payment because they cost time and transport off a job. Once they get to the yard I don't get offered them.

Yes, the spent Malted grain. Yes, animals love it. Yes the Breweries get paid for it, or give it away. Again, supply and demand. 

I brew All Grain all the time, not including the word Grain hardly makes a difference to the point. 

1 hour ago, trigger_andy said:

Yes, the spent Malted grain. Yes, animals love it. Yes the Breweries get paid for it, or give it away. Again, supply and demand. 

I brew All Grain all the time, not including the word Grain hardly makes a difference to the point. 

I've no doubt the breweries get paid for it.

Not including the word "grain" would have left "brewers" which would have been meaningless as brewers' grain is the term that was used for them when we fed them to cows, yes they would have contained vestiges of malt but it was the maltose that the brewer fermented to make the beer, so most of it would have been removed.

On 11/11/2020 at 20:46, djbobbins said:

I’m looking for free gin if there are any distilleries local that just happen to be giving it away??

Sorry if that sounds a bit sarky but you should understand that logs are a finished product and have a value. If you are prepared to collect wood from site, or have it dropped at a convenient location and give someone money to cover fuel costs, and accept that it will be green wood, probably softwood, then you might get something free. But you’ll still have to saw and split it then season it too.

Thanks! Very helpful. Sorry I'm a little new to the world of tip sites. I am aware that by saying "logs" I used the incorrect term. I am aware that it has to be sawn and chopped. I have invested in a chainsaw and axe for such purposes...sarcasm is always welcome ?