Beginers basic guide for own woodland climbing

AndyChalmers

Hi all,  1st time on the climbing section, been on the firewood section for yrs.  I have my own small woodland that I manage.  Been thinning it out gradually.  Putting some holiday lets up soon.  Some of the oaks & ash have dead limbs that need chopping off.  These trees are maybe 12"-18" wide, 20m tall and the branches are quite low maybe 5-10m up and limbs upto say 4" wide.  I was wondering if it was wise or not for me to have a go at climbing & pruning.  If so what practicle advise & basic equipment would I need?        

If it's deadwood then the pruning cut is less critical as you should be cutting in the dead anyway. A silky pole saw would be cheaper than climbing gear and cut 4" limbs no bother.

If you were going to climb then helmet, climbing rope, lanyard, prussic loop, harness. Gustharts have a basic climbing kit at £322+vat + helmet. Trouble is that's not going to come with any instructions to tell you how to make the knots or how to approach the tree.

Just now, Dan Maynard said:

If it's deadwood then the pruning cut is less critical as you should be cutting in the dead anyway. A silky pole saw would be cheaper than climbing gear and cut 4" limbs no bother.

If you were going to climb then helmet, climbing rope, lanyard, prussic loop, harness. Gustharts have a basic climbing kit at £322+vat + helmet. Trouble is that's not going to come with any instructions to tell you how to make the knots or how to approach the tree.

Youtube.   K