Bandsaw Mill advice - Trakmet or other?

Shanemac

1 hour ago, topchippyles said:

IMG_20200926_181808519.thumb.jpg.59504586dde0fd2e5a6fa67bb63f9ccb.jpgIMG_20200926_181814217.thumb.jpg.3c3e09b6a377db87c0aa73cd421cc228.jpgOak porch i milled and built 4 years ago but i know nothing.All oak beams in photo came from the same tree.

Remember when you ripped those pictures off the internet and passed them off as yours on here and then  thanked people when they gave you praise for them? 

I do, that was funny. 

Maybe you should post more pictures of your work instead of constantly belittling other peoples work? That would be nice.

Edited by trigger_andy

2 hours ago, trigger_andy said:

Maybe the HM130 max can cut a width of 30" but a HM130 can handle a 30" log but I think the Cant is 24" or under? The Logosol equivalent recommends the bigger Engine option if maxing out the Mill regularly with Hardwood which is 18hp. But if Im honest with the 14hp engine and Ripper Blades the 14hp does not really struggle till the Blade is dull altjhough I keep an eye out for the 18hp engine on ebay.

The difference being you will notice a dull blade on a 14hp mill a lot sooner than on a more powerful mill. My electric LT20 could have had a 25hp petrol engine and that only had a max of around 60cm with the guards removed. 

I think what I'm trying to say is that if you want to mill large slabs all the time its the same with most machinery. There is no replacement for displacement. Power is everything when it comes to milling large hardwoods or resawwing dried timber and if thats something the OP is thinking of doing thats my advice. The LT40 with the Diesel engine I used occasionally would chew through pretty much anything and wouldn't slow down but it was a bloody noisy thing.

IMG_5988.JPG

• Like 2

Just now, Jamespepperpot said:

The difference being you will notice a dull blade on a 14hp mill a lot sooner than on a more powerful mill. My electric LT20 could have had a 25hp petrol engine and that only had a max of around 60cm with the guards removed. 

I think what I'm trying to say is that if you want to mill large slabs all the time its the same with most machinery. There is no replacement for displacement. Power is everything when it comes to milling large hardwoods or resawwing dried timber and if thats something the OP is thinking of doing thats my advice. The LT40 with the Diesel engine I used occasionally would chew through pretty much anything and wouldn't slow down but it was a bloody noisy thing.

IMG_5988.JPG

Agreed. :) Thanks for the insight. 

No replacement for displacement! Now there's a term I dont hear too often outside the world of American Muscle Cars, Mopars in particular. 

6 minutes ago, Jamespepperpot said:

IMG_5988.JPG

Ear muffs on all the time with the wood-mizer. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

Agreed. :) Thanks for the insight. 

No replacement for displacement! Now there's a term I dont hear too often outside the world of American Muscle Cars, Mopars in particular. 

Doesn't quite work the same when its powered by kW. I don't own that mill any more but if I was ever in a situation where I could have my own yard I'd probably look at a similar mill. Maybe the LX250 which doesn't have a cantilever head.

1 hour ago, Jamespepperpot said:

Doesn't quite work the same when its powered by kW. I don't own that mill any more but if I was ever in a situation where I could have my own yard I'd probably look at a similar mill. Maybe the LX250 which doesn't have a cantilever head.

Nice website james ? 

• Like 1