Chainsaw advice

Iwanp

Maybe some of you guys on here have a second hand saw that

would suit the posters needs.

And to the OP, is there a possability you could hire a large saw and

fly through your cutting in a day or so, that would get you out for now

if you are stuck.

51 minutes ago, TuscanPhil said:

Might be a silly question but how sharp is your chain?  How are the rakers?  When did you last put a new chain on it?

My thoughts exactly.  Saws don't start struggling,  if it was ok to start then either the woods got bigger/harder or saw maintenance is lagging whats required. No 1 on the list will be "how sharps the chain ? ".

Pro saw will be lovely new and a good chain will last better than cheap one but you've still got to maintain it and sharpen chain,  might as well learn on the saw you have. 

• Like 2

Also, how dirty is the wood? Makes a big difference, you might need a quick sharpen every tank if it's bad.

In that case buy some Oregon or Stihl (ie quality) semi-chisel chain, it's easier to sharpen and holds the edge longer at the penalty of cutting slightly slower (say 5 or 10%) compared to razor sharp full chisel.

If you have no interest in sharpening then Rotatech semi is possible, but it's going to work out more expensive to swap chains which are dull rather than sharpen.

You shouldn't be changing bars very often unless you are abusing the chain and forcing it in to the cut.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bmp01 said:

My thoughts exactly.  Saws don't start struggling,  if it was ok to start then either the woods got bigger/harder or saw maintenance is lagging whats required. No 1 on the list will be "how sharps the chain ? ".

Pro saw will be lovely new and a good chain will last better than cheap one but you've still got to maintain it and sharpen chain,  might as well learn on the saw you have. 

Have you tried the sgs saw? Perhaps its the quality of the chain also, I clean it out everytime and sharpen the chain.

I need a lighter saw for logging tbh. 

2 hours ago, Iwanp said:

I put a new chain on it and cut better for a short time, I don’t think its built to last like a stihl, and is quite heavy for what I use it. So will get a new bar and chain again for it, but use it for the bigger jobs rather than logging if that makes sense?

I wouldnt spend money on that saw, I mean if the bar and chain are already messed up

the new one will just end up the same, they should last quite a while unless your at it

on a regular basis, in that case I would get a pro saw.

Like others mentioned, a chain needs to be very sharp to cut, one spin against

a stone and the edge is gone, the saw will rev more because its not being pulled

into the cut, this will smoke the bar and chain, and the engine will take a hit eventually.

Did you turn the bar upside down and try a new chain on it, the bar should be

rotated evey so often, if you have not done so then the top of the bar being flipped

over to face the bottom will rule out damaged rails and with a new or sharp chain

the saw should cut.

When you say or other saw quit, what quit about it, you can get new parts for them.

There is a spark screen in the muffler / exhaust, it often clogs after prolonged use

causing very hard starts and very low power, worth checking if the rest of the saw

shows no obvious damage.

Edited by Echo

27 minutes ago, Iwanp said:

Have you tried the sgs saw? Perhaps its the quality of the chain also, I clean it out everytime and sharpen the chain.

6.5 kg is not that heavey in logs such as you mention cutting, its spot on for the money.

It will be different dragging a heavy saw through the woods up hills and such, but that weight will only be a bonus cutting logs in your yard, you just sit the saw on and the weight helps it cut, you should not need to lean on the saw, if you do, the chain needs attention.

You are using bar oil I should hope, make sure the oil is flowing from the saw and through the holes in the bar.

Edited by Echo

1 hour ago, Iwanp said:

No I haven't. 

Got the little top handle one though,  came secondhand broken and for cheap. Came with the original 4 chains. ... no doubt that means the chains are poor quality. If i was going to use it regularly I'd get a decent chain for it.  As it is, its good for giggles every once in a while - opposite end of the weight scale.

Its as cheap as chips but it cuts ok for the cc's.