Log to Mantle

trigger_andy

Nice job that!

I've got to do similar in the temporary office except the other way around - if you know what I mean...  The original slate is recessed back from what appears to be several generous lashings of plaster and artex over the years!  It'll be a bigger ball ache hacking it off than it would be dot and dabbing some new boards over the top.  This fireplace, like all the others bar 1, was blocked up and covered with a storage heater.  Bloody criminal what they did in the 70's!

Need to get on with it really.  Like what you've done there, that's pretty much what I had in mind.IMG_4887.thumb.jpeg.88d77f08e7cd72f4a962fd7f7963e199.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Nice job that!

I've got to do similar in the temporary office except the other way around - if you know what I mean...  The original slate is recessed back from what appears to be several generous lashings of plaster and artex over the years!  It'll be a bigger ball ache hacking it off than it would be dot and dabbing some new boards over the top.  This fireplace, like all the others bar 1, was blocked up and covered with a storage heater.  Bloody criminal what they did in the 70's!

Need to get on with it really.  Like what you've done there, that's pretty much what I had in mind.IMG_4887.thumb.jpeg.88d77f08e7cd72f4a962fd7f7963e199.jpeg

We’ve 6 fireplaces in this Farmhouse. Every damn one bricked up. ?

As you say, the 70’s and 80’s have a lot to answer for.

Started on my Daughters one as well. Nice sized Builders Entrance for an upstairs bedroom and a nicely lined lum.

Three feet of crows nests and dead chicks. ?

Still a work in progress.

IMG_8925.jpgIMG_8931.jpgIMG_8998.jpg
IMG_9119.jpgIMG_9135.jpg
  • Like 9

18 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

Nice job that!

Its a cracking Lintel though. a lot of character to it. 

37 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

We’ve 6 fireplaces in this Farmhouse. Every damn one bricked up. ?

As you say, the 70’s and 80’s have a lot to answer for.

Started on my Daughters one as well. Nice sized Builders Entrance for an upstairs bedroom and a nicely lined lum.

Three feet of crows nests and dead chicks. ?

Still a work in progress.

IMG_8998.jpg
IMG_9135.jpg

That's real nice!  Lovely piece of granite!

• Like 1

Bit of progress in the kitchen. Finally got the tiling finished a few days ago and the Esse into position on Wednesday. My Brother-in-law is a heating engineer so plumbed the Esse into the existing Hotwater tank as a temp measure until he installs the new 280l cylinder, (currently running a 100l)

Had fun with the first burn of the Esse this afternoon and getting to know the controls, of which there is 4. Loads of heat in the kitchen now, oven heated up a treat and the hot water is scalding hot. So far very happy.

Ive installed the extended wood burning box that supposedly once shut down will allow the Esse to burn for 12 hours. Cant see me getting anything like that but Ive only been burning Spruce in it this afternoon. Will have a play with some beech the morn. 7-8 hours would be great though. 

IMG_9740.jpgIMG_9749.jpgIMG_9747.jpgIMG_9762.jpgIMG_9763.jpg

• Like 9

1 minute ago, eggsarascal said:

Is the water not pumped?

It was when the Rayburn was installed, new motors and pumps 12 months ago. But originally the system was gravity fed and I wanted to go back to that. If/when we have a power cut I'll still have a cooker, a warm kitchen and hot water. The young lass will also have a warm room as well as the system needs one radiator to be plumbed in. 

3 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

It was when the Rayburn was installed, new motors and pumps 12 months ago. But originally the system was gravity fed and I wanted to go back to that. If/when we have a power cut I'll still have a cooker, a warm kitchen and hot water. The young lass will also have a warm room as well as the system needs one radiator to be plumbed in. 

It maybe the pictures, but it looks like the original pipework runs uphill. My boat was plumbed like that with no pump, I never did look into how it worked because it never went wrong.

5 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

It maybe the pictures, but it looks like the original pipework runs uphill. My boat was plumbed like that with no pump, I never did look into how it worked because it never went wrong.

Yes, the pipework will be running slightly up-hill, the upper one at least.(the lower will be at the same angle but running downhill)  Its a gravity fed system, hot air/water rises, and cold sinks. So a cycle is created. Its self propelled. 

Edited by trigger_andy