Climbing Helmet & Intercom Systems

Jamie Jones

I am after peoples recommendations for Climbing Helmet & Intercom Systems....
Current there is a mix of helmets (Petzl Husky & 3M Helmets)

So What are you guys recommending
- Do you chuck it all in for a Protos Helmet and Intercom Kit?
- Go down the 3M Helmet route and their Intercom Kit?
- Stick with our current helmets and get a Sena Duel 10s kit and mess about fitting them into the helmets?
- Are the Sena Kits any good? 

Anyone able to give some Pro's & Con's for each system and any advice?

2 hours ago, Jamie Jones said:

Which Sena kit have you got? 

The smh10 is the best one to go for. The smh5 is cheaper but pairing can be a pain as you have to pair them in a weird order. The smh10 installs the same as the 5 but pairs better with multiple sets and has a longer range. There's loads of videos on YouTube about installs for the protos helmet. Plus if you want it in another helmet type you can so you don't have to buy a load of protos helmets for everyone. If you install it on your protos you also retain the ability for the headphones to fit inside the helmet. The 3M system etc doesn't allow for that at all 

• Thanks 1

I have used Sena now about 5 years in arb work. Earlier I used S20 but now I have been using sf4 about half a year. What comes to Sena as a company I think they are pretty good of what they are doing. Products are good and support is very fast and knowing.
My preference is some model with newer dock because only problem that I have had whit these are connections between helmet and the unit. Older dock that S20 k30 S10 and many others use is too complicated for arb work. Lots of little connection plates in such a direction that water gets to those. Also earlier mentioned are little bit too big. Sf4 is nice compact and seems to bee more robust option. I have now fitted 6 of those to my crew and only limitation that has come is that they are made for 4 person conversation max. There are ways to go around that but if you don't need more than 4 at the same time then I would take sf4

I’ve been using Sena for about 5 years, courtesy of a tip off from @Gray git as he was using them. A revelation, a proper game changer for arb work. Anything you end up with is better than not having the ability to easily communicate with climber and rest of team!

I have the 10S and recently got the 50S. The 10S has been good and reliable, I have a clamp kit on a set of Peltor ear defenders to use whilst operating the Logbullet or in a tractor or digger as they are less bulky than wearing a helmet. I also have a clamp kit on a Husky lid for brashing works. I have fitted my 50S to my Protos lid, easy peasy. Self installations are a doddle, and I recently got a good tip from a mate that using a round file to cut the channels for the wires in the ear defenders works well. I’m away on holiday otherwise I’d post some photos. 

Ive mentioned it numerous times before, but a website called Sportbikeshop is the cheapest place to get Sena from.