Ordered some timber in

Treewarrior

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cant get any timber at a decent price round here, could have done with some this year to keep the money coming with all the wet weather followed by the snow, I've had nigh on two months with very little work I could get on with picking up now though :thumbup1: could still do with getting back on the logging job though to help the cash flow in the winter :thumbup:

Thanks for all the replies have not had chance to read your replies until now. Some very interesting comments.

The bonus is i have already sold some wet logs to a customer he wants them for next season.

Am intrigued by the varying calculations and am sticking with my view that I'll get 60 cube out of the 26 tons.

:thumbup:

Thanks for all the replies have not had chance to read your replies until now. Some very interesting comments.

The bonus is i have already sold some wet logs to a customer he wants them for next season.

Am intrigued by the varying calculations and am sticking with my view that I'll get 60 cube out of the 26 tons.

keep a count and we can all have the definative answer to that age old question - how many cubes, how many barrow bags, how many logs, how many loads!!!!!!!!

how much work - all the best

hang on !!!

what about some of our members weighing thier bags at altitude?

with thin air there is sure to be a differance in weight ?

a 26t load up in the highlands will only weigh 25.99999995 tons down here

then you have the humidity up in scotty, running at 100% you will never get logs dry up there!!

hehehehe

• 2 months later...
keep a count and we can all have the definative answer to that age old question - how many cubes, how many barrow bags, how many logs, how many loads!!!!!!!!

how much work - all the best

The grand total

Have just finished logging, splitting and stacking all 26 tons of oak and ash. (Also found a little bit of pine!). It has taken a few weeks but well worth the effort. Will try and post a few pics this weekend

The final grand total, volume, measured in cubic metres is........................................................................

................................62 cubic metres!!

Regards,

John

Out of interest John' date=' you mentioned earlier that you work alone doing the logs.

What's your set up for processing the timber and roughly how long do you think its taken to process the 26 tonnes?[/quote']

Started cutting on the 16th Jan. Worked every Sat/Sunday and finished last weekend.

So the total day's work was 10 full days.

I use a Husky 362xp with a 30" bar and a Husky 357 with an 18" Bar

Ring everything up then use my International tractor B275 with a Browns log splitter on the back.

Logs are stacked in a store and also some are stacked outside but under an old wagon tarpaulin, plenty of airflow as it is an open South facing site with a nice westerley wind.

Store is 7 m x 2.5m x 3m So 52.5m3 in the store (These are stacked neatly though, so when we deliver there will be more volume)

Outside I have another 20 m3. So conservative estimate is a minimum 62m£

Costs

I have a mate who logs with me in return he gets free logs, equivalent to 4m3, so no wages to pay. My time is classed as an investment in the value of the logs.

Fuel costs = 60 litres plus 2 stroke say £100

4 new chains @ £80.00 total

Chain oil @ £30.00

Red Diesel supplied by farmer as part of our deal