How do you secure firewood for chopping?

Matt5100

Hello all,

I have a beast of a chainsaw, admittedly it's too much for what I need as I just process my own personal firewood that I source myself.

Just wondering how everyone secures safely short logs which are still too big for a stove and need cutting into 4 or so sections?

I'm always wary of them getting kicked up. I use metal stakes in front of them to keep them.in position at the moment but there must be better ways.

Just wondering if anyone has found any hacks? :)

3 hours ago, Matt5100 said:

Hello all,

I have a beast of a chainsaw, admittedly it's too much for what I need as I just process my own personal firewood that I source myself.

Just wondering how everyone secures safely short logs which are still too big for a stove and need cutting into 4 or so sections?

I'm always wary of them getting kicked up. I use metal stakes in front of them to keep them.in position at the moment but there must be better ways.

Just wondering if anyone has found any hacks? :)

Id be interested in what you're describing as 'a beast of a chainsaw' and if you're wearing the correct PPE regardless if its a beast or not? 

I have various sawhorses and Cantilevers and to be honest I cant be arsed with them. If I have a stack of sub 12" logs I just ring them up in the stack. When they get short I hold them in place with my Chainsaw rated Boots. When down to the last layer I cut half way through the logs then roll them with my boots then do the final half cut. But I stress you should have the correct PPE and if you use words like "beast of a chainsaw" its maybe not the advice for you regardless if you have the PPE or not? 

• Like 1

It's a 572xp which I inherited when my uncle passed. So no, I don't want to put my foot anywhere near it thanks as it will eat me whole.

Yes I know it's big for fire wood but I only do about 5 cubes a year.

I wear flip flops and shorts, that's alright right? 

Thanks for your concern though ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

Id be interested in what you're describing as 'a beast of a chainsaw' and if you're wearing the correct PPE regardless if its a beast or not? 

I have various sawhorses and Cantilevers and to be honest I cant be arsed with them. If I have a stack of sub 12" logs I just ring them up in the stack. When they get short I hold them in place with my Chainsaw rated Boots. When down to the last layer I cut half way through the logs then roll them with my boots then do the final half cut. But I stress you should have the correct PPE and if you use words like "beast of a chainsaw" its maybe not the advice for you regardless if you have the PPE or not? 

I'm not sure that is the best advice. I think the majority of the fibres in chainsaw boots are in the tongue/front area, there doesn't seem to be much in the sides which is where you're likely to hit the boot with a saw when holding logs with your foot.

Working close to your feet isn't likely to allow much time for you to release the throttle or for the saw to slow down if you do slip.

Don't get me wrong, I've done it, but I wouldn't want to suggest it is good practice for others.

• Like 2

I've got a large stump cut at an angle with two sections of 2x2" wood just under twice the length of the logs I want to cut apart so lengths of wood will sit against the 2x2" while I cut them to the side of the stump. When I get to the last length I can just cut in between the two bits of 2x2".

Done a bad job of explaining, hopefully the picture explains.

20180811_111648.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1