Jump to content
Johnsond

Log Moulder!!

Recommended Posts

Hi All 

just wondering if anyone knows anywhere up in Aberdeenshire where I can get some 75mm thick beams ran through a moulder to create an interlocking type joint. Not fussy in regards type of profile 🤷‍♂️
Cheers 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Johnsond said:

Hi All 

just wondering if anyone knows anywhere up in Aberdeenshire where I can get some 75mm thick beams ran through a moulder to create an interlocking type joint. Not fussy in regards type of profile 🤷‍♂️
Cheers 

Why not do it your self ? How straight are the beams and are they staying rough or pse 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, topchippyles said:

Why not do it your self ? How straight are the beams and are they staying rough or pse 

This is all slightly speculative Les. Options are to do single tongue and groove etc myself or see if anyone had a log moulder up here. Some are already dressed and some rough so I guess I’ll end up having to run them all through the planer to get them uiniform. 

Edited by Johnsond

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

T+G would be the easiest method which i was going to suggest and a half decent router and a couple of sash clamps would have done it. What is the finished use for them ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Johnsond said:

Hi All 

just wondering if anyone knows anywhere up in Aberdeenshire where I can get some 75mm thick beams ran through a moulder to create an interlocking type joint. Not fussy in regards type of profile 🤷‍♂️
Cheers 

Could you biscuit joint them, then it could all be done with a router?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

Could you biscuit joint them, then it could all be done with a router?

Never be strong enough on 75 mm  hardwood in a million years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, topchippyles said:

 

T+G would be the easiest method which i was going to suggest and a half decent router and a couple of sash clamps would have done it. What is the finished use for them ?

They are to be Cabin walls Les up at the lads place, building a little set up to include a cabin and covered hot tub etc, beams are Spruce and nice and straight. I’ll cut intersecting corner joints and probs just use a circ saw to do the tongue cuts and the edges of the groove plus a router to finish the centre. Beams are 4.8m so it’s fairly labour intensive hence I’d have happily ran them through a moulder. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, topchippyles said:

Never be strong enough on 75 mm  hardwood in a million years.

I'll bow to your superior knowledge but the OP has said softwood. We glued some steel flitch plates  in to sister/tandem some floor joists and that seemed to work

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

I'll bow to your superior knowledge but the OP has said softwood. We glued some steel flitch plates  in to sister/tandem some floor joists and that seemed to work

Les is probably considering the seasonal movement with timber beams of that size. Tongue will probs be 20-25mm and more than likely long timber screws at intervals along the beams. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Johnsond said:

They are to be Cabin walls Les up at the lads place, building a little set up to include a cabin and covered hot tub etc, beams are Spruce and nice and straight. I’ll cut intersecting corner joints and probs just use a circ saw to do the tongue cuts and the edges of the groove plus a router to finish the centre. Beams are 4.8m so it’s fairly labour intensive hence I’d have happily ran them through a moulder. 

Go traditional then and half lap joints at the corners and could use inch dowel as you drop each beam on top of each other to lock in the middle sections . Make up a jig if you go that route.Are these external walls or internal ?

Edited by topchippyles

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Featured Adverts

About

Arbtalk.co.uk is a hub for the arboriculture industry in the UK.  
If you're just starting out and you need business, equipment, tech or training support you're in the right place.  If you've done it, made it, got a van load of oily t-shirts and have decided to give something back by sharing your knowledge or wisdom,  then you're welcome too.
If you would like to contribute to making this industry more effective and safe then welcome.
Just like a living tree, it'll always be a work in progress.
Please have a look around, sign up, share and contribute the best you have.

See you inside.

The Arbtalk Team

Follow us

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.