Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
PatrickFirwood

Leylandii trimming issues

Recommended Posts

Hi all, 

 

Looking for a bit of advice from someone a bit more knowledgeable and experienced than myself. The weekend before last we reduced a row of leylandii that hadn't been trimmed for about 4 years, we reduced the top back to where it had been done before (by approximately 5ft) and then trimmed the sides with a hedge trimmer. The customers were very happy with the results and the fact we hadn't reduced it too hard or butchered it. 

 

Fast forward to now (8 days later) we received a call to say a lot of brown patches had developed, so we went out to have a look, take some photos and try figure out what had caused them. We've been scratching our heads trying to work out what could have caused this and the only thing we have come up with so far is the very hot, dry and sunny weather we had the week following us reducing it, and we thing it could have been sun scorched? I'll attach some photos below (the first two being just after we had finished and the last 3 a week later), we would really appreciate some advice if anyone has any... 

 

 

1.jpg

20200629_173603.jpg

20200629_173808.jpg

20200629_173812.jpg

2.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Too much cut off probably but not know how much you cut off it’s impossible to tell!

youve got to be careful with them when they haven’t been touched in a long time.

doubt they will come back green but they might.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you answered your own question in your first post:  hot... dry...  assuming you're in the south of the country that is.  I believe it's been somewhat less dry oop north.

Edited by nepia
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, PatrickFirwood said:

Thanks for the reply. I'll attatch a before and after photo below. We were convinced that we didnt take too much off... 

20200620_082002.jpg

20200620_140653.jpg

That looks ok from pictures so can’t help really!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did some similar the other day. They had been neglected for so long and there was so much dead material in them, it was nigh on impossible to get a good finish. Went back the next day as the customer wanted to look at cutting them further back, and they agreed to have them removed...
best thing for them once they have gone past a certain point.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Featured Adverts

About

Arbtalk.co.uk is a hub for the arboriculture industry in the UK.  
If you're just starting out and you need business, equipment, tech or training support you're in the right place.  If you've done it, made it, got a van load of oily t-shirts and have decided to give something back by sharing your knowledge or wisdom,  then you're welcome too.
If you would like to contribute to making this industry more effective and safe then welcome.
Just like a living tree, it'll always be a work in progress.
Please have a look around, sign up, share and contribute the best you have.

See you inside.

The Arbtalk Team

Follow us

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.