Log Splitter - Choice?

craigblues

Agree on the build quality on them is good we also had the 4 way thrown in with no warranty. Much prefer to use it horizontal than vertical and would rather noodle down larger butts to keep working flat ! Fuel wise runs all day on about 6 litres. Either one you choose with a couple of tweaks to suit you needs you’ll end up with a decent machine! It’s split anything I’ve put on it so far. Robin 

Purchased the 22T ES 12 months ago from Rock Machinery to bust up logs too big to lift and nothing it hasn't managed to split so far. Have the 4 way splitting knife which slides over the single knife but it is not to be used on logs wider than dia of 4 way knife or the bolt holding might get damaged. We split mostly 50 and 60cm billets with it using the single knife. It is towed mainly along country back roads so 45 mph not an issue but if on main roads you do tend to get a bit of traffic building behind so travel at 50 mph at times. At £1500 it is good value. Have used the 22T Rock horizontal splitter but we found it uncomfortable/put strain on back.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Vedhoggar said:

Purchased the 22T ES 12 months ago from Rock Machinery to bust up logs too big to lift and nothing it hasn't managed to split so far. Have the 4 way splitting knife which slides over the single knife but it is not to be used on logs wider than dia of 4 way knife or the bolt holding might get damaged. We split mostly 50 and 60cm billets with it using the single knife. It is towed mainly along country back roads so 45 mph not an issue but if on main roads you do tend to get a bit of traffic building behind so travel at 50 mph at times. At £1500 it is good value. Have used the 22T Rock horizontal splitter but we found it uncomfortable/put strain on back.

Ive got to watch my back. Perhaps I'll be using it in the Vertical Position more than I thought? Do you just split large rounds with it or smaller stuff as well? Ive bought a Hookaroon and log lifting tongs to take some of the bending out of log splitting and I think a table on the Splitter when used in the Horizontal would really improve things. 

How does the chain thing on the right hand side (looking towards the tow hitch) work?

Any videos of the Splitter in action?

Do you use the Splitter financially or just for firewood at home? 

We split mainly 50-60 cm long rounds into billets that would mostly be too heavy to lift manually, these are then stacked off the ground to season and later cut with circular saw into 20cm, 25cm, 30cm log lengths as required or sold as 50cm billets. If splitting smaller dia logs (<30cm) the 4 parts splitting knife could be used but we generally another machine for this.

The lifting bracket ("the chain thing on the right hand side" you asked about) we don't use much, the lifting bracket lifts log as the cylinder rises but this doesn't need to be engaged (might have video of this in action). We use log pick (hookaroon) and lifting tongs (Bahco 270mm jaw opening) a lot instead of lifting bracket as quicker.

Machine is used for both home and commercial purposes.

Edited by Vedhoggar
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Vedhoggar said:

We split mainly 50-60 cm long rounds into billets that would mostly be too heavy to lift manually, these are then stacked off the ground to season and later cut with circular saw into 20cm, 25cm, 30cm log lengths as required or sold as 50cm billets. If splitting smaller dia logs (<30cm) the 4 parts splitting knife could be used but we generally another machine for this.

The lifting bracket ("the chain thing on the right hand side" you asked about) we don't use much, the lifting bracket lifts log as the cylinder rises but this doesn't need to be engaged (might have video of this in action). We use log pick (hookaroon) and lifting tongs (Bachco 270mm jaw opening) a lot instead of lifting bracket as quicker.

Oooo we all love a video of “In Action” ha!

yes I think I’ve made my mind up that the 22t ES is the way to go for the saving plus the added bits you get on the more expensive model won’t really benefit me, and if I really want them can probably fabricate something to work.

Bahco 270mm, my old man used to work for Bahco, so know the products very well. Presume you mean the adjustable spanner?

I spoke to Rock, and they confirmed that the machine can be used vertically or horizontally by just removing the microswitch. Also offered to throw in the 4way splitter but to use it sensibly.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Vedhoggar said:

The lifting bracket ("the chain thing on the right hand side" you asked about) we don't use much, the lifting bracket lifts log as the cylinder rises but this doesn't need to be engaged (might have video of this in action). We use log pick (hookaroon) and lifting tongs (Bachco 270mm jaw opening) a lot instead of lifting bracket as quicker.

If you have a vid it would be great to see. I really cant envision how the lifting bracket works. :D Why would you need to lift a log if milling in the Vertical? Will be weeks before im home and its bugging me. :D 

Ive got a hookaroon and tongs coming in the mail soon as well. Save my back time!

Yeh, thanks trigger_andy for pointing out typing error, will correct it. Bahco lifting tongs, next size up to one in your link, the 270mm jaw opening version (from clarkforest.com) most useful size and can be used for rolling logs as well as lifting, have a smaller set of tongs but use larger tongs most of the time.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Vedhoggar said:

Yeh, thanks trigger_andy for pointing out typing error, will correct it. Bahco lifting tongs, next size up to one in your link, the 270mm jaw opening version (from clarkforest.com) most useful size and can be used for rolling logs as well as lifting, have a smaller set of tongs but use larger tongs most of the time.

Never noticed a typo? I think Craig got the wrong end of the stick. 

trigger_andy in response to you question "Why would you need to lift a log if milling in the Vertical?" I believe it was an EU requirement relating to regulations for wedge splitters which were brought in around 2017/2018, personally I can see the need for a log lift with 1m vertical splitters but not smaller vertical splitters ... some of the changes made sense to me but others didn't.