Ganoderma on a Eucalyptus

Hi All,

I have been out to look at a Eucalyptus earlier today with a fairly sizeable Ganoderma bracket on the base of it. The tree really needs to come down as the trunk is moving significantly.

My client would rather keep the tree but her kids play under the tree and her neighbour kids play under the tree in there garden.

My question is would it be a good idea to replant another Eucalyptus in its place or avoid planting all together. The only research I can find on it is on palm trees over in Florida. My gut tells me not to replant but would like to try something to make life a little better for my clients loss.

Cheers People

Hi,

I'll say my piece and David H  or someone else better qualified will put me right!

I think you can re plant with same species in the same space, without issue. There's a good talk by Lynne Boddy on the Arb Assoc website re trees and fungi, was on the virtual showground webpages, well worth a watch (less than 10mins long). From that I gathered a couple of things, one was that fungi are present in wood/trees already and become activated and pathogenic when the tree is stressed/over pruned etc. 

Well that's my understanding of it but I'm no expert!

Jan.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jfc said:

Hi,

I'll say my piece and David H  or someone else better qualified will put me right!

I think you can re plant with same species in the same space, without issue. There's a good talk by Lynne Boddy on the Arb Assoc website re trees and fungi, was on the virtual showground webpages, well worth a watch (less than 10mins long). From that I gathered a couple of things, one was that fungi are present in wood/trees already and become activated and pathogenic when the tree is stressed/over pruned etc. 

Well that's my understanding of it but I'm no expert!

Jan.

Hi Jan,

Nice one I'll check it out. My general through was if it were to infect other trees in the area then replanting was a no go but it has only impacted the Eucalyptus. However I am no expert in the matters either so wanted a bit more advise.

Cheers again 

Ganoderma adspersum will associate with a wide range tree species. The spores of the fungal fruiting bracket on this Eucalyptus will be everywhere in this and the neighbouring garden and could/will recolonise any tree host that is stressed or damaged.

So, it's perhaps not really a question of which tree species to replant with but more one around protecting any new tree from damage (mower, strimmer, compaction, fencing etc...) establishing it well and and keeping it healthy (access to good un-compacted free draining soil, water & full sun light)

Sounds like this tree probably should be removed and replaced with a different species due to the use and size of the garden.

My experience of Ganoderma and Eucalyptus in (sub-optimal growing environments) is not good, the mycelium will  remove most of the lignin in the heart of the tree and eventually impact on the residual wall strength.

This one failed in a pretty strong wind, but was probably only a question of when.

P2100016.jpg.d751d93d7a0a0b12f69b8bde45b5e97a.jpg.570c1b80e0c876fec52501842323bca8.jpg

P2100005.jpg.a0b9213d0b3ee17cd7bf89b6784beabb.jpg.9280c5759866e2789e7760f713329fb7.jpg

IMG_1108.thumb.JPG.d9ff862cb4444dba48a8cf13fb9f9698.JPG

IMG_1180.thumb.JPG.aca6f51545a1e9523c4f088ece136088.JPG

IMG_1102.thumb.JPG.61273a8c661ce2210c79d8ca9c5a8ec3.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, David Humphries said:

Ganoderma adspersum will associate with a wide range tree species. The spores of the fungal fruiting bracket on this Eucalyptus will be everywhere in this and the neighbouring garden and could/will recolonise any tree host that is stressed or damaged.

So, it's perhaps not really a question of which tree species to replant with but more one around protecting any new tree from damage (mower, strimmer, compaction, fencing etc...) establishing it well and and keeping it healthy (access to good un-compacted free draining soil, water & full sun light)

Sounds like this tree probably should be removed and replaced with a different species due to the use and size of the garden.

My experience of Ganoderma and Eucalyptus in (sub-optimal growing environments) is not good, the mycelium will  remove most of the lignin in the heart of the tree and eventually impact on the residual wall strength.

This one failed in a pretty strong wind, but was probably only a question of when.

P2100016.jpg.d751d93d7a0a0b12f69b8bde45b5e97a.jpg.570c1b80e0c876fec52501842323bca8.jpg

P2100005.jpg.a0b9213d0b3ee17cd7bf89b6784beabb.jpg.9280c5759866e2789e7760f713329fb7.jpg

IMG_1108.thumb.JPG.d9ff862cb4444dba48a8cf13fb9f9698.JPG

IMG_1180.thumb.JPG.aca6f51545a1e9523c4f088ece136088.JPG

IMG_1102.thumb.JPG.61273a8c661ce2210c79d8ca9c5a8ec3.JPG

Haven't seen bracket fungi on Eucalypt. Do you know if the species of Eucalypt matters? There are quite a few that grow here in UK these days. Have you seen G. on other species of Eucalypt?

Thank you Mr Humphries that’s very much appreciated. I thought I may have got an answer from you.

I have spoke to my client about the information passed on by yourself and I think they would like to replant something taken in the fact it may end up with issues later on if under stress.

The tree coming down would leave a big gap in the garden and is (at the moment) the main focal point in the garden. Would be a shame not to at least try and replace it.

Thanks again for your advice it’s greatly valued.

Cheers Eric [emoji106]