Alaskan milling

gobbypunk

42 minutes ago, Will C said:

Yes, we get paid to do the tree work and clear the site, with oversize wood with no value locally beams can be quicker than rings to cut and get out, the chipper loads truck, the tip button empties it and we get paid!

Its not often we don’t but on some jobs it works well. Also being on a small island there is minimal market for milled timber and haulage to the mainland is to expensive to be profitable/viable

You on the sauce or what ??

4 hours ago, Rough Hewn said:

But sugihara's have a known reputation for chipping and snapping.

Yep, there was someone on here not long ago complaining that his Sugi bar snapped off in the mill.....well it's harder and not designed to cope with being stressed in  that way.

When I first used an Alaskan I was surprised just how much the Stihl 36" bar flexed between the clamp and the powerhead, so much so that I rigged rubber buffers on a bracket from the dog bolts to limit but not prevent movement.

There's a very fine line when constant flexing is taking place between a spring action and metal fatigue...so it would appear that the hardness of the steel which make Sugi bars rigid and long lasting isn't a usp when mounting the bar in the mill and subjecting it to forces it wasn't designed to cope with.

From my point of view, when using an engine to power something it wasn't designed to do...ie clamped up in a mill... it's important be aware and not to transfer abnormal stresses back to the power unit where vibration can be very destructive, every material and machine part has a resonant frequency which can quickly lead to failure...... you only really get the feeling for this through your own experience of dealing with the gremlins that your own rig throws up ....imo

• Like 2