What are these for?

AHPP

IMG_6756.thumb.jpg.ecac4c47a769860e7ebb469e36e73b5f.jpg

On one of those cheap vertical chainsaw jigs. Three little stubs of threaded rod sticking out. Nothing attached the other side so they’re there deliberately. They look like they’re going to catch on the post you screw into the log. Or do you want some drag?

Ive not seen that before? Makes no sense to me either. You'd not want any drag on the beam you use as a guide. Id back them off or Grind them Out. [emoji3] 

I was about to put it in the vice when it struck me that someone paid money to put them there so there must be a good reason for them. Or someone’s making the jigs out of reclaimed materials and didn’t notice/couldn’t be bothered to remove them.

Here's a couple of theories:
1. Bit of grip when you lift up on the saw handle which makes it press down there. When you lift to drag they skid.
2. By having those bits touching the timber it makes a more definite contact which makes the jig more stable.

Personally I'd have a go at using it before grinding them off, you can then grind them if you think they are annoying.

• Like 1

There is a box now I think about it but it’s about minus twelve outside so I’ll have to check tomorrow.

You make good points Dan.

I also held off grinding after remembering the mistake I made with a tape measure. I was using the tape and noticed the end hook bit had some play. “That’ll affect my measurement!” I thought. So I forged it solid. Turns out they’re meant to have play (it accounts for then thickness of the hook when pulling the tape out over something or pushing it up against something) and I’d been too clever for my own good. I later discovered a well known television blacksmith made the same mistake so I feel a bit less silly about it.

• Like 2

They leave marks on the beam you use as a guide so you can tell if you start to go off vertical as the track from one of the pips disappears.

Personally, never use mine for anything but the roughest jobs.

• Like 1

They leave marks on the beam you use as a guide so you can tell if you start to go off vertical as the track from one of the pips disappears.

Nice one.

Really? You may well be right but if that's the real answer I'm disappointed, you would be reusing the guide beam so the second time you can't tell if the lines are new or not.
  • Like 1