Stihl battery mower experience

HDAV

Trying to sort a new mower for FIL as petrol push Mountfield is too much for him currently. Recovering from cancer and shielding so difficult gets hand son with options.

Looking at the Stihl RMA 448 TC as an alternate to a powered electric start (his wish list) petrol mower.

How heavy is the battery and how long does it last? In reality there lawn isn’t huge 20m x 15m maybe with several flowerbeds and awkward edges, tree roots, general domestic garden. 

Mulching option may work well but then don’t want loads of grass cuttings dragged into house by shoes or paws...

husqvarna is another option... with the LC 141iV guess tjere are many more. Bosch don’t do a powered battery mower only push?

Edited by HDAV

I have that model I believe. One battery would do the lawn assuming he keeps on top of it. I’m a bit lazy and often let the grass get a bit too long which can suck the power out of the battery a bit more. 

the batteries are the same as the ones used in the chainsaws. Not sure the exact weight but I can’t imagine it would be too much of an effort for him. Maybe around 1kg tops 

1.8kg should be ok the AP 200 is 1.2kg and having to stop and recharge battery may not be an issue as it takes 3 sessions to mow the lawn currently with the flymo. 

if we looked at petrol then to get electric start it’s more like £800+ and will be a bigger much heavier machine, my slight concern is the lack of speed control and him needing to keep up with the machine 

3 minutes ago, HDAV said:

1.8kg should be ok the AP 200 is 1.2kg and having to stop and recharge battery may not be an issue as it takes 3 sessions to mow the lawn currently with the flymo. 

if we looked at petrol then to get electric start it’s more like £800+ and will be a bigger much heavier machine, my slight concern is the lack of speed control and him needing to keep up with the machine 

Does he like cutting the grass? Another option might be a robot mower?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, scbk said:

Does he like cutting the grass? Another option might be a robot mower?

I did suggest that......costs are higher again?

this ticks the boxes and come in quite a lot cheaper than either electric options 

WWW.JUSTLAWNMOWERS.CO.UK

The Cobra MX534SPCE lawn mower is powered by a Cobra 4-speed electric start engine and is for sale at Just Lawnmowers with free next day delivery.

9 minutes ago, HDAV said:

Good point about the speed control, it goes at quite a pace 

Hmm so Stihl 3.5km/h fixed.....

Cobra petrol 4 speed 2.5km/h - 3.9 km/h in 4 steps inc 3.5km/h

Husqvarna LC141V Li  variable 3.0km/h - 4.5km/h

on the basis slower is better the husqvarna or Cobra would be the better options. The cobra is 40kg the husqvarna 22kg (inc battery?) so looks like the husky is winning.......typically most expensive ?

Do Stihl do a variable speed? And any experience of cobra?

and why don’t makita make is easy to find the models that are powered ☹️

edit: so the makita DLM462 is powered with variable speed from 2.0km/h to 5.0km/h  it nearly 40kg? And more expensive at £400 bare and needing 2 5.0Ah batteries :dontknow:

Edited by HDAV