Husqvarna 350 will not start

Morgan1936

43 minutes ago, Dan Maynard said:
5 hours ago, Stubby said:
That is because it is not a " pro " saw .  If you had a 346 which is a pro version you would see the difference .

Even so, having used a 346 and owning a 112 the old Dolmars are very solidly built - quite a bit heavier for the same cc.

I don't want heavy ! ?

36 minutes ago, Dan Maynard said:
1 hour ago, Stubby said:
I don't want heavy ! emoji4.png

No, it's not a nimble quick saw like the 346. If the 346 is like a sports car the 112 is more like driving a landrover, slow, heavy but pulls and pulls.

I have a Spud ported 346 and I do everything I possibly can with it before I go up a size .

Thanks for all the replies. 

I do also own a 365, a big heavy beast ( for me) and that seems to be far better constructed. I was comparing the 113 with the 350 as they both cost me similar amounts albeit a few years apart.

What puzzles me is that the 350 saw seized several years ago and following excellent advice on here I replaced the piston and it has performed very well for a few years. The compression only measured 125 PSI after the new piston but it started instantly. I gather that 125 is very low, perhaps I was lucky.

If the compression is low how come it starts instantly with Easy start? And revs very freely for a few seconds.

1 hour ago, Morgan1936 said:

I do also own a 365, a big heavy beast ( for me) and that seems to be far better constructed. I was comparing the 113 with the 350 as they both cost me similar amounts albeit a few years apart.

What puzzles me is that the 350 saw seized several years ago and following excellent advice on here I replaced the piston and it has performed very well for a few years. The compression only measured 125 PSI after the new piston but it started instantly. I gather that 125 is very low, perhaps I was lucky.

If the compression is low how come it starts instantly with Easy start? And revs very freely for a few seconds.

125 is ok on the first pull but if you pull it over several time you should get up around 160 for good combustion .  Was the piston you replaced a dished one or a flat top ?

2 hours ago, Morgan1936 said:

Because easy start is/does as it says Easy start! your already putting combustible mixture in the cylinder rather than it has to do it its self so starts on that and runs on whats left till dies.

Same thing with diesels being it's very volatile mixture diesels love it as easier to burn than getting air to temp high enough to fire diesel mix so low compression poor starters

What compression gauge are you using? Some are made specifically for car engines where you crank the engine over a few times continuously with much larger cylinder volumes. You need to use a gauge specifically that will work with smaller bore engines.

Have you checked the piston yet?

In regards to the easy start, you have also used two carbs, why should it be a carb issue and not a top end issue?

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

I used a car type compression tester so the CR could be higher than 125 PSI.

On removing the exhaust box the piston looks fine no scoring just a nice shiny piston.

Perhaps back to the carb, the replacement was a Chinese copy. Placing a thumb over the inlet manifold and pulling the starter cord I could not feel any suction, perhaps this is not a good test?

Edited by Morgan1936
update with more info

That would explain the low compression then. The suck on the inlet manifold won't be much as it is caused by the piston going up in to the bore producing what is known as Primary Compression in the crankcase and sucks fuel mix and air in to the crankcase. A big air leak may stop fuel being pulled in. Is the plug wet after 10-15 pulls with choke on?