Cutting rounds to lengths

Will76

On 07/05/2020 at 21:19, Steven P said:

Not an expert here. However. Are all your logs to be the same legnth or do yuo have clients that specify a 25cm log and some that specify 30? If so this makes it a bit safer, a 27cm log can go into the 30cm pile for example, a 35cm log can be cut to 25 and this adds al larger factor of safety  if needed. I'll also assume and knowing what logs I pick up that some will be undersized - if this is not an issue, I guess cutting threm undersized will aso not be an issue. Just trying to make that 5cm end to cut off a bit longer.

If your secs are tight though, I would be tempted to split the -slightly oversized- wood first keeping it in a seperate pile and with these thinner logs you can get a bench circular saw or siimilar (with suitable guards and guides, hold the long end and cut off the small pieces with thst.

As a stove retailer I would advise anyone creating logs for stove use to cut at 250mm MAX.  Personally I cut at around 230mm.  

I am surprised that no one has built a machine that automatically does this - cuts rounds down to specific length automatically. As they have done for long lengths. I cannot be be the first person who has wanted to shorten many rounds quickly, safely and automatically....

7 minutes ago, Alycidon said:

As a stove retailer I would advise anyone creating logs for stove use to cut at 250mm MAX.  Personally I cut at around 230mm.  

Whats the reason for this advice?

My new stove takes 450mm logs, so thats what I cut them to. Maybe 400mm I cant really remember? Anyway, there is an inch each end of the logs to breath/ignite. Seems to suit me fine. It reduces my cutting and splitting time but at least 1/3rd to 1/2 over 230mm. 

And Im still glad I went for the 11kw Stove. :D Although its a little cooler now with the living room door open its a perfect temp running the Stove where it should be. Maybe when I get the room fully insulated I'll need to either install the Boiler Option or swap out for a smaller model if Im not needing the water. But till then its great.

If I had to take 5 cm off a big ring I'd probably stick it on the woodmizer.
Cant see how it would justify the investment to be honest, unless you're happy to put in long days for well below average pay.. might be more economical to sell less uniform logs at a reduced rate than to up the spec and eat into your time.

4 hours ago, trigger_andy said:

My new stove takes 450mm logs, so thats what I cut them to. Maybe 400mm I cant really remember? Anyway, there is an inch each end of the logs to breath/ignite. Seems to suit me fine. It reduces my cutting and splitting time but at least 1/3rd to 1/2 over 230mm. 

And Im still glad I went for the 11kw Stove. :D Although its a little cooler now with the living room door open its a perfect temp running the Stove where it should be. Maybe when I get the room fully insulated I'll need to either install the Boiler Option or swap out for a smaller model if Im not needing the water. But till then its great.

Much the same as my practice. 16" inset boiler, I cut logs to 15". That way I can feed them in and fill it efficiently, without sticking my hand too far in!  ( Doors on the front, fed horizontally ). 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, trigger_andy said:

85% of the stoves I sell are for rooms 5m x 5m x 2.4m,   for these a stove with a nominal output of 5kw is more than enough.   While there are a few stoves of 5kw that will take a long log ( they have a log but shallow firebox) most have a firebox that is about square and are best suited to a 250mm log as the firebox is about 350mm wide internally.  So if you have a bigger firebox then put more logs on,  but a 250 will give you good suitability.

A

Just now, Alycidon said:

85% of the stoves I sell are for rooms 5m x 5m x 2.4m,   for these a stove with a nominal output of 5kw is more than enough.

Generally more than enough. As I mentioned Im running an 11kw in that same space, although I have a higher ceiling. 

So really you're just advising people with 5kw stoves to cut their logs to 230-250mm? 

8 hours ago, Conor Wright said:

If I had to take 5 cm off a big ring I'd probably stick it on the woodmizer.
Cant see how it would justify the investment to be honest, unless you're happy to put in long days for well below average pay.. might be more economical to sell less uniform logs at a reduced rate than to up the spec and eat into your time.

I;ve been looking at those. I didn't realise you could stick a large hardwood round through them.

Which one do you have? Have you used it to cut rounds?

1 hour ago, trigger_andy said:

Generally more than enough. As I mentioned Im running an 11kw in that same space, although I have a higher ceiling. 

So really you're just advising people with 5kw stoves to cut their logs to 230-250mm? 

In Angus its a bit colder that here in the East Midlands !!,  either that or you have no insulation.    In a word yes, cutting 230 - 250 will give the log seller best coverage as if they need a few more they can pop them on.  Supplied some for a very large inset stove,  it took 3 side by side and another 3 on top.  

A

In Angus its a bit colder that here in the East Midlands !!,  either that or you have no insulation.    In a word yes, cutting 230 - 250 will give the log seller best coverage as if they need a few more they can pop them on.  Supplied some for a very large inset stove,  it took 3 side by side and another 3 on top.  

A

It’s an 1880’s Sandstone Farmhouse. No insulation, original single glazed Sash and Case Windows. Under the floorboards it’s just mud. And one wall is now exposed Sandstone.

Will get modernised at some point. But right now we run the stove with the top vent fully open from 07:00-22:00 with the living room door open and it’s keeping the family toasty.

It’s getting milder now so it’s getting started later and the vents about half open, but we’ve just had a cold snap that’s taken the temp just below zero at nights so the vents creeping open again.!?

I’ll stick with my 400mm logs. It’s a lot less physical work making firewood that way.