Looking at upgrading to 5.5 or 7.5 ton grafter

allseasons

Having done my O license in the last year something I'd say is apply for as many trucks and trailers as you can.  I didn't really think it through and just applied for 1 truck. If I want to add anymore in the next 5 years it is a whole new application.  Obviously dont go crazy but if you are thinking of getting one truck maybe apply for 2.    

Edited by richy_B
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, benedmonds said:

That is the first time time I have heard that, we have had an o licence for at least 10 years and never had any checks. 

I am new to O licenses and did not know this.  I have been reading up on it all as the entire point of my O license was to get everything 'above board' and not risk overloading (I wasn't terrible but so easy done in a transit - also train weight issues). There is a fair amount to learn I have found compared to just running 3.5t's.

This week a skip driver told me he got done for not having 3 spare tacho rolls with him - literally the first time I had heard this as well. 

Edited by richy_B

8 hours ago, allseasons said:

I only need one for the foreseeable future the issue is going to be if i can have it at home really as dont have a yard and really upgrading so am
Not running over weight all the time will see what the council says though

This is exactly what I thought but after I was granted it I thought I missed a trick not applying for two.  It'll be another grand for fees and advertising if you want to change inside 5 years. 

Edited by richy_B
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, allseasons said:

I only need one for the foreseeable future the issue is going to be if i can have it at home really as dont have a yard and really upgrading so am
Not running over weight all the time will see what the council says though

Having it at home will possibly be a problem and you are supposed to have enough room to turn round and park properly, probably get away with it at the right property but in an estate I would say not. You could have your "operating centre" at a local farmers and park at home but then your at the mercy of your neighbours as if they grass you it will be gone! be better doing a deal with a local farmer and parking on a farm.

Ok well cant do that so will head off to the local farmers and ask them if they can help at all. Thank you for all the advice guys appreciate it didn’t want to go down a road with out first knowing what was required and the gov websites don’t tell you very much at all.

12 hours ago, richy_B said:

This week a skip driver told me he got done for not having 3 spare tacho rolls with him - literally the first time I had heard this as well. 

As arbs we run under the exemption so don't worry about the tacho's. 

Exemptions from EU law

Some types of vehicle are exempt from EU rules. This means they come under GB domestic rules in the UK.

The main types of exempt vehicle are:

vehicles used by agricultural, horticultural, forestry, farming or fishery businesses for carrying goods within 100km of where the business is based

or

vehicles or combinations of vehicles with a maximum permissible weight of 7.5 tonnes or less that are used for carrying work equipment for the driver where the distance is less than 100km

WWW.GOV.UK

EU and GB domestic rules for drivers of goods vehicles and passenger-carrying vehicles

Edited by benedmonds

1 minute ago, benedmonds said:

As arbs we run under the exemption so don't worry about the tacho's. 

Exemptions from EU law

Some types of vehicle are exempt from EU rules. This means they come under GB domestic rules in the UK.

The main types of exempt vehicle are:

vehicles used by agricultural, horticultural, forestry, farming or fishery businesses for carrying goods within 100km of where the business is based

WWW.GOV.UK

EU and GB domestic rules for drivers of goods vehicles and passenger-carrying vehicles

Yes but you tow a trailer then you aren't exempt anymore. From my understanding anyway, happy to bw wrong! So a 7.5t pulling a >750kg trailer (I tow my Multione which is 2750kg with its trailer and bits). 

With most of the civil service absent from their desks and the backlog of shite they will have to deal with on their return there couldn't possibly be a better time to put in an application.

Just saying.

Bob

4 minutes ago, aspenarb said:

With most of the civil service absent from their desks and the backlog of shite they will have to deal with on their return there couldn't possibly be a better time to put in an application.

Just saying.

Bob

Yeah you cant even get an MOT so it may take a while!