sub contract work

rossj

hi all i was wondering what you think would be a fair price to charge for doing some motorway clearance work its going to be for 3 months and the price is per week for 1 climber ,1 groundsman ,tracked chipper, saws, fuel etc.anybody whos self employed and worked on motorways your advice is well needed !:biggrin:

Not sure if work location would necessarily attract a premium (ie: motorway) but I would have thought £200 a day, in total, for climber & groundsman would be a fair price. Add 50% for weekend work. That would be just for manpower though, you don't make it clear if its you who is expected to also provide chipper and saws etc. Presumably if you do then you would need to factor in an additional amount to cover costs/overheads, but I could'nt say how much. Sorry I've only just started subbying myself. Just my belief that £100-120 for climber and £80-100 for groundsman would be a fair price as a ball park figure to start from. (My £200 figure would include £120/80 climber/groundy split)

Would anyone else care to agree/disagree?

It's a simple equation. How much do you want/need to earn a day add on your costs, labour and machinery etc. Theres your figure.

How much I'd want to earn would depend on how much work I had on, how much hassle it was going to be, how much work i'd turn down because of it etc etc. As a ball park figure I'd suggest £500ish a day for what you've described above. Don't forget the mileage and time it can take to get to the job/drive past on the other side and turn round etc etc.

Try not to go in to cheap, it's not good for any of us................

R

This is a common problem, how much to charge as there is allways someone who will do it cheaper. If you have your own tracked chipper, van, fuel, saws and insurance plus climber and groundsman then i think you would be looking at 450- 500 per day. this is only my opinion though.

good luck at getting over £400.00 a day, there are many bigger companies that will do it for £350. IMO £450 - £500 is fair but you would'nt get the contract. I would go in at £400.00 and take a chance. Is it for a sub-contractor or direct to highways? So many parameters, like do you own your tracked chipper or will you hire?

i assume you are looking to sub contract to another tree company that already has the work? personally, £350 a day. ive done heaps of this sort of work before, its not rocket science, mostly easy work...ok the location is particularly crap.....

anymore than the above and the other company wont be able to earn anything out of you to make it worthwhile for them IME

we subed for a company who subbed for another who subbed for another. think we were sixth in the chain.

We just charged our day rate of 590 for three man team plus chipper. then put on fuel charge of 210 a week as we were doing 130 mile a day round trip so diesel was something to cost in. also depends on who your subbing to- if is a highways consultant not tree co then bear in mind they dont know exactly what is involved. if you can do it piece work then you can earn what you need to make it pay. i think i'm right in saying that 90% of motorway work is now nights- due to tm costs. if your on nights then ideally set a good night rate and get the best machines for the job- nothing worse feeding small machines all night. we just done a night job for a civils company that happiliy paid twice our day rate.

good luck.

dont envy you.

what motorway you on?