Last trees in leaf

ABtrees

We're pretty much fully green now.  By that I mean most of the trees are now 'in leaf'.  We have a Mulberry that is always one of the last and a Rowan that has only come out in the last week.  But having a walk around yesterday I came across this one (pic below) and in my ignorance I don't know what it is.  So it got me thinking what species is (generally) the last tree to come in to leaf ?

20200428_144207.jpg

58 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

A dead tree by the looks of it.

That's what I thought Mick but it isn't or if it is it has happened very, very quickly.  Here's a close up of the end of the branches - this years catkins and this year's buds - maybe ???

IMG_6790.JPG

4 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Walnuts are always very late.

I picked some walnuts up in the garden of a friend, 1/2 a mile away and 25 years ago. I took three seedling to my brother's house in Devon, telling him to plant them and  as they grew remove the lesser two. He kept all three but after he died I picked three walnuts off one tree and planted them Spring 19. Two germinated but only this one flushed this spring and it is ahead of the mulberry and of course the catalpa.

walnut.jpeg.672243e50259a4c0cf605acdcfc6811e.jpeg

Edited by openspaceman
wrong season
  • Like 2