Wood slab required for desk frame

KiwiInLondon

7 hours ago, trigger_andy said:

Thats if the Slab has not warped beyond use. 

Just trying to understand, would it warp because it hasn't been kiln-dried sooner than later?

And on the note of kilning, does the kiln-drying process kill and prevent insects burrowing their way through?

2 hours ago, Forest2Furniture said:

I've got a 50mm thick slab of Beech 800mm wide x 2.7m long it's been air drying for about 5yrs.

To be fair it'll need more then a sand to get perfectly flat as it was milled with a chainsaw mill,

Thanks but could be tricky as I don't have a planer/thicknesser let alone the sort of to allow me to operate a router with jig

3 hours ago, KiwiInLondon said:

Just trying to understand, would it warp because it hasn't been kiln-dried sooner than later?

And on the note of kilning, does the kiln-drying process kill and prevent insects burrowing their way through?

Wood will naturally twist and warp to some degree, regardless how you dry it. (Im a novice and still learning) But you can minimize this by heavily weighting or strapping the timber to limit how much warping you'd get.  So if you where to buy one green slab and dry yourself and did not know how to dry it properly then you run the danger of badly warping, cracking, splitting or checking the board. 

I dont kiln dry. I Air Dry and then finish in the house. Although Id like to invest in a Kiln at some point. There seems to be different opinions on whats better Air Drying or Kiln drying. 

No, Kiln drying will not prevent insects burrowing their way though. Why would it? 

4 hours ago, KiwiInLondon said:

Thanks but could be tricky as I don't have a planer/thicknesser let alone the sort of to allow me to operate a router with jig

Take the slab to a shop that has one. You might get lucky and they only charge you £50 to pass it though their planer. ;) 

Just now, topchippyles said:

What 800 mm wide planner ?? come on now trigger £50 

He said he wanted 700mm. But granted that could be a touch to big as well. I'll assume 24" planers are not impossible to locate. Even 30" Planers are out there, maybe even wider? My Mate has a 24" Planer, Ive never asked him but Id expect he'd happily plane someone a slab for £50. 

Im not sure if you're referring to my comment that it would cost him £50 to get it planed or the width needing planed? Your comments are always quite cryptic. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

He said he wanted 700mm. But granted that could be a touch to big as well. I'll assume 24" planers are not impossible to locate. Even 30" Planers are out there, maybe even wider? My Mate has a 24" Planer, Ive never asked him but Id expect he'd happily plane someone a slab for £50. 

Im not sure if you're referring to my comment that it would cost him £50 to get it planed or the width needing planed? Your comments are always quite cryptic. 

CRYPTIC ME (BLOODY CHEEK) ?  The width of it you muppet :bash:

Just now, topchippyles said:

CRYPTIC ME (BLOODY CHEEK) ?  The width of it you muppet :bash:

Well initially your comment seemed to focus on the width. But as I mentioned, he needs 700mm and 30" Planers are out there. So I really dont see your point? 

Then you threw this line in at the end, utterly meaningless and clearly nothing to do with the width. 

21 minutes ago, topchippyles said:

come on now trigger £50 

Perhaps if you use started to think about what your wrote before posting, maybe adding some punctuation as well your asinine ramblings could be more easily deciphered?

Its also rich calling someone else a muppet when you write like a retarded 12 year old. :) But I guess you dont need to waste your time in actuality conveying whats going on in your head when your a self confessed 'Top Chippy'. 

• Haha 1