Signage

Dean Lofthouse

Dont forget to book the road also, as if there are other contractors on the road, and they've booked, you cant set up, within a certain distance. Only takes a call to the relevant authorities to check it out. We had a roadside job the other week, the road is a notorious rat-run across town, and accident blackspot. We decided to put the traffic management out to a highways company, so we could concentrate on the trees. The plan was to have traffic signals, full S,L &G, as we were using a Genie along the closed lane. Lights etc were all set up to go, when along the road came a chappie in hi-viz."Sorry guys, but WE have priority on this road!" Turns out he's from a utilities co, and they have the authority to supercede all other operations. A phone call to the council , confirms that we had the booking, but due to council ****-up, so had the utilities. We had to pack up and go home. BUT as the utilities finished the next morning, they called us up and let us use their TM set-up as a sort of apology.

PS, I know its covering old ground again, but if you set up on the highway without relevant Ch8 tickets, not to Ch8 standards, and there is an accident proven to be down to your site, you will be in court on a criminal offence. They will check every sign is in the right place at the right distance, and of the correct size for the speed of the road.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is how I have always done it by taking note of how other road works are set out.

Who's done the course?

Is this layout correct?

joe has done the course if you want some advice speak to him did in sheffield

Also when wearing hi-viz, i think if you are working on a road with a speed limit over 30mph they have to cover your arms as well.

if you do not fasten a hi vis vest up it does not count

Almost 20 years ago when I was first let loose with a chainsaw, rog and I felled about 15 or 20 spruce across a ride in the woods which was also a public footpath. Within minutes about 30 ramblers with map holders, compasses and red socks hiked up the path and proceded to climb over every spraggy stick of timber. They could have gone through the trees, but no they where Ramblers Association zealots and they stick to the path.

Another job was felling large douglas fir thinnings off an embankment onto a forest road for winching out. We had put up signs but a high speed mountain biker riding down the track couldn't stop and got a face full of aromatic foliage.

We were working in town. deadwooding in a major pedestrian street. two lassies walked past the signs, ducked under the barrier tape, past the tractor, the groundies never saw them, they were busy tidying my mess up. then the two lassies stopped when the walked into the platform, the big blue platform... they got a telling off.

Jamie

Dont forget to book the road also, as if there are other contractors on the road, and they've booked, you cant set up, within a certain distance. Only takes a call to the relevant authorities to check it out. We had a roadside job the other week, the road is a notorious rat-run across town, and accident blackspot. We decided to put the traffic management out to a highways company, so we could concentrate on the trees. The plan was to have traffic signals, full S,L &G, as we were using a Genie along the closed lane. Lights etc were all set up to go, when along the road came a chappie in hi-viz."Sorry guys, but WE have priority on this road!" Turns out he's from a utilities co, and they have the authority to supercede all other operations. A phone call to the council , confirms that we had the booking, but due to council ****-up, so had the utilities. We had to pack up and go home. BUT as the utilities finished the next morning, they called us up and let us use their TM set-up as a sort of apology.

PS, I know its covering old ground again, but if you set up on the highway without relevant Ch8 tickets, not to Ch8 standards, and there is an accident proven to be down to your site, you will be in court on a criminal offence. They will check every sign is in the right place at the right distance, and of the correct size for the speed of the road.

I spent about 18 months working in Keighley and hebden Bridge area do ing line clearance for fountains on YEDL powerlines (LV), most of this work was roadside involving either closures or stop and go boards, my self and the one of my teamleaders had to go on the chapter 8 course but beaware there is two parts and I cant for the life of me remember the codes but one allows you to set it up and the other to supervise but the superviser is not allowed to set up the site. If you go on the course you will be issued with the red book and this lays out all the different site set ups in diagram form.:icon14: