The Cooking Thread

AHPP

50 minutes ago, PeteB said:

It is the mix of crunchy and soft, dry and wet, tart and sweet. Had it since a child and see no reason go stop!

Good food is always about contrasts, between tastes and textures. I'm a Marmite fan, no question. I actually think the optimal way to consume it is in a boring, plain white bread sandwich. The bland stodge is the perfect foil for the strong salty/tangy/umami. Never tried the crunch of lettuce. I imagine cucumber would also work.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sime42 said:

Good food is always about contrasts, between tastes and textures. I'm a Marmite fan, no question. I actually think the optimal way to consume it is in a boring, plain white bread sandwich. The bland stodge is the perfect foil for the strong salty/tangy/umami. Never tried the crunch of lettuce. I imagine cucumber would also work.

Two points, firstly regarding cucumber: I was strolling along just now thinking that this marmite sandwich would be improved by turning into a patty melt (that is, a beef burger served on sliced white bread, instead of in a burger bun), with untoasted bread, marmite, and lettuce as shown, but also with a flattened burger with a strong cheddar melted onto it, and a few slices of quick-pickled cucumber for tang.

This is something I would find acceptable. 

Secondly, regarding contrasts: often, but not always. The first thing that springs to mind is chocolate mousse, which is never improved by any supporting players. No biscuits, no crème fouettée, no macerated cherries, no cinder toffee crunch... just chocolate mousse, in a glass.

I'll update with any other examples as I think of them. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, peds said:

Two points, firstly regarding cucumber: I was strolling along just now thinking that this marmite sandwich would be improved by turning into a patty melt (that is, a beef burger served on sliced white bread, instead of in a burger bun), with untoasted bread, marmite, and lettuce as shown, but also with a flattened burger with a strong cheddar melted onto it, and a few slices of quick-pickled cucumber for tang.

This is something I would find acceptable. 

Secondly, regarding contrasts: often, but not always. The first thing that springs to mind is chocolate mousse, which is never improved by any supporting players. No biscuits, no crème fouettée, no macerated cherries, no cinder toffee crunch... just chocolate mousse, in a glass.

I'll update with any other examples as I think of them. 

Soup, for me. The smooth blended type. A winter favourite. I've sometimes been tempted into adding some kind of croutons on top. It's never as good as anticipated. The mouth doesn't when whether to chew or just swallow.

• Like 1

On 29/04/2024 at 22:43, AHPP said:

That looks spot on. Not sure I've ever had one. I've been needing to add a new tomato one to the repertoire. Go on then. You get typing and I'll work out where I can get some tamarind. Pretty sure I have fenugreek in some form.

Preparing this for later on and remembered it being discussed on here. I get it in a dry block like this and then rehydrate it. Courtesy of Morrisons.

PXL_20240802_120245647.thumb.jpg.7657f4b95f17842458ea59dd88b9a21a.jpg

• Like 1

She made a new potato dish which was tasty and very filling! Sliced finely then have a 5egg sort of savioury pancake mix with cheese topping. Very filling and quite tasty. Would be good in the morning with brien sauce too!

20240804_200100.jpg

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, PeteB said:

She made a new potato dish which was tasty and very filling! Sliced finely then have a 5egg sort of savioury pancake mix with cheese topping. Very filling and quite tasty. Would be good in the morning with brien sauce too!

20240804_200100.jpg

That looks good. What's brien sauce?