Felling small trees/saplings

coppicer

I have a 2-acre coppice full of ash, planted about 15 years ago, with an occasional downy birch and willow. I'm cutting a ride through the coppice, and need to fell dozens of trees. These range from sapling "failures" an inch or two thick, to decent little trees about 6 inches at chest height, though most are not that large. Because they were planted so close together (I think 1.5m) 99% of them are dead straight with little to no lean.

I have succeeded with the usual notch and back cut on a few larger trees, but the smaller ones are more difficult. They don't have the weight to fall like a larger tree, but if I try to cut straight through I usually trap the bar. Is the solution to cut diagonally, as described in this recent thread?

Any pointers or advice much appreciated!

20200324_133404-25%.jpg

Thanks for that. I haven't noticed any dieback as yet, but due to undergrowth (head-high brambles) I haven't been able to get into the middle for a thorough check (the photo was taken after a lot of recent work with a brushcutter and a mulching blade). However, there is definitely dieback on the main road a mile or so away, so it's only a matter of time. If I had been aware of dieback in 2005 I might have done things differently. ?

15 minutes ago, aspenarb said:

Back a mulcher through there.

Thanks, sounds like an effective solution. I enjoy the work itself - it's about the only exercise I get apart from walking the dog - so it's more about the best way to approach it. Sorry for not making that clear.

Basically put a small  horizontal cut in on one side, the direction you want it to fall in, then put another horizontal cut in from the opposite site, slightly higher up (inch or so), that overlaps the other cut, then push the tree over, it will snap between cuts. Only use on saplings/trees under about 3 inches. You should be able to get a gob and back cut in anything 4"+. Also the lower the cut is to the ground, the more leverage you will have pushing it over, the less trip hazards, and you will make the forum's forestry experts happier.

• Like 1