Forestry/woodland work, day rates?

£125/day for brashing and felling big edge trees?! I'd happily do it for less than that, where do I sign?

You shouldn't have to do it for less than that if your experienced and have the gear and an ''idea'',i wouldn't.It's supply and demand up here,there's not many guys that can do that sort of work now,they're either retired or in a cab.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

£125/day for brashing and felling big edge trees?! I'd happily do it for less than that, where do I sign?

You shouldn't have to do it for less than that if your experienced and have the gear and an ''idea'',i wouldn't.It's supply and demand up here,there's not many guys that can do that sort of work now,they're either retired or in a cab.

I know I have no experience in that part of the world and limited experience in that type of forestry but some people want different thinks from there work and I wouldnt mind giving it a go, who knows I may be really good at it. I've worked on farms pretty much all my life leading bales, cutting cabbages and doing all the menial jobs. I've also spent the winters planting miles of hedging in North Lincolnshire by the Humber and I know it sounds sad but I actually enjoy that type of thing. Is it a bordom mind numbing reason that you wouldnt do it or something else?

No i don't mind doing that kind of work now and again because its what i came from.I think everybody learning should have a go because where else can you learn to fell without worrying about hitting any targets.The rate used to be less up here but it's gone up due to lack of decent guys.

The problem I have found is where/who do you go to. I dont know anyone up there and they dont know me. Its a gamble for both parties. As was mentioned in a previous thread it would appear that you need to be mobile and prepared to spend time away from home, which I guess is difficult for people with familly commitments. I regularly trawl the internet looking for contact details but no luck yet.

For freelance forestry we normally get £10 per ton, plus if we point the fencing posts, strainers etc we get £2.50 extra on the ton (plus we get ready cut fire wood once it has dried). Now that we are starting to generate our own forestry work we are selling timber track side for £24 per ton.

get a hold of the FCA list of members theres a list of softwood contractors. start at A and work ur way thru........i brashed for a few years to a company that had 8 harvesters,i was maybe at 2 or 3 different sites a week , can get a bit boring if u the only 1 brashing but also u get to fell some lovely timber and some hairy crap too LOL

[quote=

20 tonne a day or you didn't get paid. (4" - 14" dbh self select hardwood thinnings including pulping of brash and stacking for forwarder)

Fair play TCD if you can cut 20 tonne a day, day in day out:bowdown:, I know I would be going home skint if that was the case or do you have a saw in both hands:001_tongue::biggrin:

Fair play TCD if you can cut 20 tonne a day, day in day out:bowdown:, I know I would be going home skint if that was the case or do you have a saw in both hands:001_tongue::biggrin:

He oblivously forgot to say he was using a Ponsse harvester :laugh1:

Its nice to average 8/9 ton a day after converting and stacking the cord. Perhaps i need a new saw then maybe il push 20 ton a day.