What chainsaw should i buy ???????

sylvie111

I think I must see the world very differently to most.

I have never had any formal training, my dad used a saw when I was a boy, never had any training or any accidents. (He never let me use it)

Not long after I got married at 20, I hired a saw to fell some dead Elms for fire wood, my dad showed me how to sharpen it.

I then bought my own saw and a sharpening kit.

I felled and cut up lots of trees (some pretty big) having only read the book that came with my SH Husky 266. The book showed how to make felling cuts, maintain the saw and sharpen the chain.

Once I got into the trade I watched other climbers, bought some SH climbing gear and taut myself at the week end.

I can recall felling and crosscutting in shorts and trainers, when I first got my saw.(not recommended)

I personally find all this "you must have training" attitude a little patronising. I wonder if treating people as thou they are incapable is leading to the lack of self confidence and common sense.

PS I have been assessed and obtained my NPTC.

You took the words out of my mouth!!!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is the 142 not a little lacking in power though?

I'm just curious - I'm looking for a little saw myself, I work in conservation so am looking for something that will handle small trees (15" or thereabouts), scrub clearance and rhododendron bushes, stuff like that. I was looking at the Husky 240 but thought it might be a little too underpowered.

But if you're saying the 142 does well, perhaps a 240 isn't too shabby either...?

Yes, old thread but new question.

Recently bought my self a Husqvarna 240e to go along side my 365. Cracking little saw I would say. Plenty of power in green wood, not tried it through seasond stuff yet. Comes with a 14" bar now, but usuable cut length is about 12". I bought the verson with TrioBrake. it looked like a good idea from what I saw on a Husqvarna video detailing it. And in reality its a very good idea. Very comfortable to use and adds a fair bit of saftey too I think. Fuel tank is quite small though, but overall its a cracking little saw.

Heres the TrioBrake video...

240e is used in the first part of the video

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsCNjElD3xg]Husqvarna Triobrake - livgm.co.uk - YouTube[/ame]

Edited by shanks
Because i'm stupid..

A lot of people seem to like the 346xp - I think I've commented recently on another thread where you were singing its praises!

Roughly how much is a second-hand 346xp likely to set me back?

I've heard that the Stihl 260 is roughly equivalent, any comments on the relative pros/cons of260 vs 346xp?

The 346 is a little screamer, a real racer, the MS260 is more sedate IMO

The 346 wins it on AV IMO

The MS260 is probably a little more solid in build quality

The 346 has higher chainspeed and tops out at higher revs

The MS260 has a little more low down tourque

The 346 sounds far better:thumbup:

The 346 air filter stays much cleaner and the filtration system is better IMO

It really depends on what you like and if you like the Stihl product or Husqvarna, a decent 346XP on ebay will cost anything from £250 - £350 the carb boot is their achillese heel on these saws but if this is OK, you will love it:thumbup:

Some may have other opinions but I say as I have found!

A lot of people seem to like the 346xp - I think I've commented recently on another thread where you were singing its praises!

Roughly how much is a second-hand 346xp likely to set me back?

I've heard that the Stihl 260 is roughly equivalent, any comments on the relative pros/cons of260 vs 346xp?

Ask "wooded" on here, he'll give you an un-biased view of those two:lol: