Advice needed re cable pulling winch

Tony Parker

7x19 is the stuff.  Lovely rope and possibly the poster should look at including swivels in his setup as all ropes will torque to a degree, presuming the winch is in good fettle, he shouldn't be having this grief. 

www.wireropeshop.co.uk          K

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, blackeyeler said:

I have found a reference to the rope  7x19 IWRC 103 metre from Rope Services direct. Is this suitable for Igland 55?

Jas P Wilson will have ropes on the shelf, as will Clarke forestry. 

I use Bridon at Doncaster.

1 minute ago, blackeyeler said:

Thanks again ESS, I think 103 metres is just a bit too much length. We got our winch from JASP Wilsons.

Not sure how long the ropes been on, but once they start breaking up you are on a hiding to nothing .New ropes aren't expensive really. I would think you are using 12/13 mm rope on your winch. It will tell you on a spec sheet somewhere what capacity it is.

As a wire cable gets shorter on a winch the pull increases, couple that with the damage caused by crushing etc. on the drum and you start to build the picture. I used to turn the rope and use the other end to get extended life out of them.

If the rope is matched to the winch the clutch should slip in most instances before the rope breaks.

• Like 1

On 02/05/2020 at 10:38, blackeyeler said:

New member here. I am trying to find a reference in the forums to wire rope fouling , twisting and coiling. The kit is an Igland 55 winch and I am constantly having to cut lengths off the wire rope due to coiling. Any one able to point me to a discussion? All help gratefully received. Blackeyeler.

It's caused by pulling the wire through the sliders under tension and at sharp angles - i.e. slider a bit out of line / twisted - as others in the thread have said if you leave a few links of chain between log and slider you can mitigate it a bit,  when you set up your drag try to set it up so that it pulls logically and avoid back pulling if that makes sense - i.e the swage end should be at the furthest away log, second slider next one etc etc

Langs lay is just a bit more flexible than RHOL - the more fibre you have in a wire rope the more flexible it will be but conversely it will be more prone to deformation and damage and less hard wearing

Helps a bit if you do not overfill the winch drums - less prone to ripping down and overcrossing