Wood DIY

Trauma

2 hours ago, trigger_andy said:

Right, cheers. :D 400 grit to start? 

Na 80 grit ?

I did make one many moons ago but cheated by buying a wooden blank from some maker in Cornwall. He was selling a large mahogany blank all made up for little more than the cost of the wood! I had never carved before but something so big was quite a good way to learn. There is so much excess wood to remove you get the feel for it before you get to the critical bits. Next door kept ponies and I would pop over and study them then then come back and cut more bits off. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Woodworks said:

Na 80 grit ?

I did make one many moons ago but cheated by buying a wooden blank from some maker in Cornwall. He was selling a large mahogany blank all made up for little more than the cost of the wood! I had never carved before but something so big was quite a good way to learn. There is so much excess wood to remove you get the feel for it before you get to the critical bits. Next door kept ponies and I would pop over and study them then then come back and cut more bits off. 

I see there is kits on-line but they are little more than knock together kits and that would feel like cheating.  I need to build a Coffee Table now anyway, so a Rocking Horse will be on the back burner. 

I'll be able to put the Router Sled @Johnson made for me to good use. :) 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Woodworks said:

Na 80 grit ?

Care to elaborate (Cut bits off) male or female horsey we talking here ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, topchippyles said:

Care to elaborate (Cut bits off) male or female horsey we talking here ?

It was PC pony with no genitalia ?

Things I did notice was the blank just left the legs and hooves in profile but 2D not 3D I added some extra fill out the knees and a full hoof with a frog carved into the bottom

• Like 1
  • Haha 1