Our industry

Amelanchier

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After only being a member for 2 to 3 months and not being from an Arb background I have read all the various threads with a little bit of a wry smile. In all professions we can become full of our own self importance (and rightly so) but TIMES CHANGE in ALL professions and he who does not move with the times dies.

I was in the retail petroleum business for 34 years and I was very good at what I did and I took the high and mighty attitude that I was not going to sell fuel for no profit just to get people into my shop like the Hyper Markets ( tree work/ logs ) because my premises that I had invested in were worth a fortune and should show a return to reflect this ( mogs, cranes, saws, chippers, sign writing, qualifications ). All businesses go through cycles and if you do not continually adapt you will die.

Is an elder not a thing of beauty to you Dean? :D With its majestic arching form that sticks in the the chipper and its attractive multistem habit that conceals stones and scrap from the chainsaw users eye. Do the berries and flowers, relied on by birds and insects, not provoke an emotional connection as you try in vain to clear them from the lawn...

Ecology is an interesting parallel though, there are even more rules and regs but from my perspective Ecologists are treated as useful professionals - would you agree? What's different?

Ecology is seen by goverment & client as a sustainable interface, whereas the majority of Tree work alas is not.

This must lead to the general impression that the industry is mostly driven by the coin and not the needs of end user, that being the conection and access that society reqiures to it's assets.