Our industry

Amelanchier

Our trees are the most improtant part of our british landscape, in particular the urban landscape. The often the largest and significant living organsims in our environment with the ability to make us feel safer, happier and secure.. House prices are higher in streets with more trees, or near areas with increased number of trees,

Who we are, what we achive and what we leave as our legacy to our children is in our hands.

I for one have felled magestic oaks for supermarket deveploment and lost sleep, but i have also planted thousands of trees for the future....

I hope i have a positive legacy to leave on this beautiful island we all call home.....

I hope my children will enjoy the trees i have managed and planted. I hope they appriciate the envionment as i do, and aim to make a postive contribution to improving it for the good of all....

Enjoy Trees, respect them and don't worry to much about the politics.

There is a lot wrong in world, don't add to the problem just do whats right and sleep easy....

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only today' date='

three different farmers and landowners told me how they had thinned , managed and restocked woodlands, and planted new woods on agricultural land, this year, from their own pockets, as they didn't like the stringent and inflexible nature of the grant schemes.

This has cost all three small farmers thousands £££.

None expect to see any financial return on the work in future years, but they will get the landscape how they want it, for shooting, and the greater benefit of wildlife and amenity use.

Doesn't this in some way mirror how Joe Public wants his garden?

Same thing on a larger scale.

He who pays the piper calls the tune.[/quote']

Our local beat forester round here has a fantastic job and is doing wonders to regenerate a terrible FC strategy from years ago with monoculture forestry and terrible biodiversity in to an area worth living in.

Like he Humbly says " i can play god on the landscape and do it my way for my interests" How good a job is that?

And here's the thing - this crosses into another division, the one between public and private ownership. I consider this to be another area in which we shoot ourselves in the foot.

• 6 months later...

Just casting my hoodoo magic and raising up another zombie thread - partially inspired by the distant echo of Mark Johnston's lament heard fleetingly in the Arb journal this month.

Read this extrememly recent publication by Forest Reasearch confirming the benefits of urban trees as identified by a recent govt. health review (yep again), and I quote (my emphasis in bold)...

"The Marmot Review, set up by the government to strategically review health inequalities, identified a role for trees and green space in reducing health inequalities. This finding acknowledges the importance of green infrastructure for urban healthy living and encouraging physical activity for recreation and travel. The review suggests the need for investment in quality green space, particularly street trees in deprived areas, and advocates that the health system should promote contact with nature."

You know, that sounds a lot like the kind stuff we should be involved in. Oh well - they've done it for us again. We couldn't be less relevant it seems.

SERG_Urban_health_and_forestry.pdf

• Do we have a overinflated sense of our own importance as part of the wider picture?

• Do non-arbs manage trees adequately without us?

• Why don't we get involved with the Forestry Commission? After all, they've got the money, they've got the national strategies for urban trees...

[*] Trees are keystone species, the lungs of the world, genetic factories and where you me and especialy all these hairy arsed arbs in here evolved from (some more evolved than others!:001_tt2: )

if the guardians of these key stone species are not entitled to a high self value and importance, who the flipping heck is?

[*] No! NO WAY!:lol:

[*] Why? because were numb nuts thats why, arb is so divisioned now, eco arb, utility arb, forestry, consulting, surveying arbs why should we not all be in one BIG almighty powerful group? its a no brainer.:confused1:

Personally i fell that many Tree Surgeons are full of their own self importance, with a view that the only way to manage trees are the methouds outlined by fellow Arborists and Arboricultural pioneers , but in all honesty us Tree Surgeons/ Arborists have only really been arround for the last 35-40 years in this country that im aware of . Previously trees were managed by farmers and landowners woodmen in whch there were far more trees being planted than there were being felled , i believe this is down to the fact that trees were only then taken down if they were in a dangerous condition , dieing or dead , nowadays it is felt to be acceptable to take trees down for any number of reasons such as - it is blocking my Sky signal , it sheds to many leaves , i like the tree but not where it is , it is blocking the light out of my spare room , i wish to build an extension or plain and simply because i dont like it ! , and its us that are wiling in most cases to carry out the work to fulfill our own finacial need . As Ted Green once said to me - Humans need Trees but trees do not need humans ! .