Stump grinding

Arborist

Was wondering how much stump grinding you guys get and how much of your business it makes up. Some guys I know say that they don't get a lot come in where others get a lot and there are a few companies around hear that only do grinding.

Also how do you tend to price for the work price quoted per stump or a price per inch. If its only a small stump is there a minimum price that you would go out for?

I normally wait until I've got a few jobs together and then hire a machine out.

When grinding I always try to get as much of the stump out as possible, mostly get the whole thing out but come across a few recently that other people have done and have only been ground to just under ground level + charged a lot for doing so.

What do you tend to do with the grindings fill to level, take away completely and fill with top soil.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

From person experience of different companies, 2 of which did a fair bit of grinding.

The type of backfill depended on location and future use. Have had to remove all of the grindings for replanting, other times have only ground to a few inches to be grassed over so mostly back filled.

Also depends what's under the stump have done stuff on the roadside where there is known to be services so these are never ground very deep.

I agree with you about saving them up till you have enough for either a day or few days work.

This 1 had all the grindings removed an topsoil reinstated, nearly 5 ton's.:banghead:

5976532eb2ee8_Neilgrinder.jpg.358f1d7ce6fbcbb315e64d1a66f5a277.jpg

It was a big Cedar, bigger than the 1 in the background. Memory correct it was leaning towards and over a large building off to the left of the picture, I think there was decay or something as well which had made it unsafe.

Im still looking into getting a grinder. Talking to a salesman at Saltex last year he was saying £75 call out up to 18" (ie min charge) then £50/foot. Dont know if this is right or a load of bull?

4 out 5 of my last private jobs all asked if I could grind the stump. Then again if I buy one i bet nobody will want it done :dontknow:

I never tell the customer that I have my own grinder.

That way when they ask for the option of grinding on a silly little stump. You can say, well it's £50 to hire the machine but I'll do the grinding for nowt. That way you can get your minimum charge without them moaning.

If it a big stump then you can say, I'll just charge you the time to do it plus the hire.

We used to hire in machines to grind out ourselves, but tend to leave the majority of our stumps untouched these days.

Obviously they make great habitat for invertabrates etc...plus a fair percentage of our 'removals' end up staying as Monoliths.

When there is a stump that does need complete removal then we hire in a company.