fig 8 drawbacks

bob

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

weve started using seperate trees to back up the ones were climbing and ............... off on a tangent but at work we told about making sure our anchors are 10kN how are you supposed to check that? i think someone had read some user instructions in the office and got a bit excited.

How come the uni doesnt have to be backed up anyway as its mechanical?

Why don't we have to back up the swivel eye on the lockjack ?

The figure of eight I have is a really meaty one, you could hang a truck off it

It's not the F8 itself that has to be backed up, it's your breaking hand. If something happends to that hand the ground will jump up and kick your butt! :) So some kind of prussik knot attached between the leg strap and the rope "below" the F8 gives you an extra breaking hand.

Many people go abseiling without backing it up, and whilst thats is fine if your not at work it is also where most rock climbing accidents occur.
Really? If you had a source on that Rupe, I would be very interested in reading it.

In the same way - how many deaths have been caused in the arboriculture industry from people sliding to their deaths on a figure 8? Are there any statistics?

I would be quite interested to know the facts, as I've not heard of one person 'letting go and sliding out of control to their death'.

If anyone could produce statistics I would ask; were they really descending, or were they work positioning with a figure 8?

Edited by Angus

I used to do a reasnoable amount of rock climbing on the Dorset coast and most climbers down there generaly back up there figure of 8 with a french prussik below the figure of 8 clipped to a leg loop.

If you have to use a figure of 8 without any back up someone on the ground holds the end of the rope. If the person descending looses control the person on the ground can pull the rope tight and the descent can be controlled from the ground.

I use a figure of 8 when I foot lock. I leave my footlock prussik on above the figure of 8 as a back up.

The biggest draw back of the figure8 is to install it onto your rope you have to unclip it from your harness. If you were to then drop said figure8 you have the potential to come unstuck. Yes I know you can descend on a prussik etc but this is one of the major reasons for work at height using devices such as the stop as it should stay clipped to you whilst you install it.

The biggest draw back of the figure8 is to install it onto your rope you have to unclip it from your harness. If you were to then drop said figure8 you have the potential to come unstuck. Yes I know you can descend on a prussik etc but this is one of the major reasons for work at height using devices such as the stop as it should stay clipped to you whilst you install it.

easy peesy

when you clip on your 8, clip it on to your harness through the big eye not little.

then when you whant it thread as normal while clipped to harness then when you unclip it no matter if you drop it its on the rope. shown that little tric on an spsa many moons ago.

cheers