working in california...

hi all,

I have a few pals goin over the north california to do work experience for a month or so.its something i would love to do however i dont really no where to start as i only no tree surgery.

have been workin as a tree surgeon for 4 and a half years now climbing for 2 and a half years so where can i start?theres obviously tree surgeons in that area so do i email different companies asking for work experience or is there an easier solution for work experience in north california?

also does anybody no how much american climbers or groundies get paid?

any feedback would be great.

james

James, I would agree with joining Butch's site. There are some good guys on it from Northern Cal.

Also, I would suggest getting hold of Robert Phillips (his contact info is in the link below). I don't know Robert personally but he has a tremendous reputation of being well connected and helpful.

Your experience level is at the beginning of the learning curve, so keep your expectations realistic. Set your sites at gaining experience and international knowledge; if you make money also, that's a benefit. Try not to pass up any opportunities you might have for at least seeing and hopefully climbing some of California's big trees.

Good luck.

Dave

http://www.wcisa.net/docs/BoardOfficersCurrent.pdf

hey james, the bigger companies will normally give you a one yr visa that means you have to stay and work for them under there rules which can suck if they are rubbish but can be good because they have to give you a certain amount of work a week. im looking into one now and its a heap of give and take to be honest. try some of the bigger companies or see if the smaller ones will give you cash. bit cheeky but who cares. hope it helps.

good luck