Euroforest

Jack.P

Noticed today euroforest have a sign stating a main road will be shut for 10 days for forestry operations at the end of the month .But I was wondering why so long and how is it allowed on this scale in a conservation area? ( didn’t look like another ash dieback job but could be wrong) With all equipment they probably could cut all roadside stuff in two days max or they could have put traffic lights up etc to keep the road open 

I am intrested to know what there plans are .anybody work for them?

Cannot see the road on the one network job site map but a nearby road is shut for ash dieback clearing so I’m assuming its the same  but couldn’t seem to see any from the road .probably all going for biomass which is a bit of a waste of a prime firewood but I guess that’s where the market is for it in bulk.but some companies are bringing kiln dried from overseas still where is the logic in this

1 hour ago, Jack.P said:

Cannot see the road on the one network job site map but a nearby road is shut for ash dieback clearing so I’m assuming its the same  but couldn’t seem to see any from the road .probably all going for biomass which is a bit of a waste of a prime firewood but I guess that’s where the market is for it in bulk.but some companies are bringing kiln dried from overseas still where is the logic in this

If its the case of a clearfell of ash die back they may have the road closed so they can stand wagons on the road and chip direct in to them, i know of one or two jobs that have been done like that of late,

16 hours ago, Jack.P said:

Noticed today euroforest have a sign stating a main road will be shut for 10 days for forestry operations at the end of the month .But I was wondering why so long and how is it allowed on this scale in a conservation area? ( didn’t look like another ash dieback job but could be wrong) With all equipment they probably could cut all roadside stuff in two days max or they could have put traffic lights up etc to keep the road open 

I am intrested to know what there plans are .anybody work for them?

Be interested to know why a Conservation area had any bearing on your thoughts?

If it was a big Gas main or the like going up the road it would be shut if required end of for essential works.

Traffic lights on all reds is a total nightmare in comparison to a full closure in instances like this.

It ends up with chances being taken of snatched cuts, often just with one of the operatives stood in the live lane trying to hold back traffic that will inevitably drive through on red whatever the precautions.

Plenty of chancers out there with no Slew restrictors on the machines working single lane/snatched all reds, and as one claimed when offered the latest technology by the supplying Dealer he doesn’t need them because he’s got good Operators.

If they took the time to look back at the instance in Derby where the Excavator Bucket fetched a young girl out of the front of a Double Decker Bus they may take a second look at the job.

Forestry Contractors are breaking out onto roads with kit and unfortunately for many it’s alien terrain however skilled the Operators may be.

Laugh all you like at 360 Cameras, Slew/Height restrictors, Seat Belt Beacons, Cab Guarding etc, but come incident they’re all available and no getting away from the fact if required they should be installed.

Someone paid an awful lot of money will ask you if there’s anything you could have done to have prevented an incident and if it turns out for example 3k of Slew Restrictor could have saved someones daughter being ripped out the front of Bus, then you’re going to get torn a new one, plus the Operator will basically be finished and living with the mental scars.

Road closures where possible are the way forward, get the kit in and the job done, just as if a main utility needed to be replaced the trees need to go for safety and better with a short burst of interruption than drag it out for weeks.

So few Managers are up to speed on what’s required in high compliance applications with machines they’re really leaving themselves wide open and plenty of companies out there would be well advised to take a second look at what their procedures are.

A quick google turned this up, but I recall the incident well.
Just imagine the fines now!

E46B0660-20F5-4109-B099-FC49655310CA.thumb.jpeg.5b1090e570788a35e2e9ca4720983b56.jpeg

Anyone who wanted some advice or to discuss machines and compliance it’s not hard to find me.

Eddie.