Raised rack for log storage

difflock

See images, 

2 unwanted(to be dumped) prestressed  concrete slabs 5.5m by 750mm by 150mm(@1.5 tonne each)

plus 2 old heavy section 2.5 m high gate posts(from Lord knows where or why or even when),

All assembled by my I, me, mesel, with some help from the wee Kioti EX 50.

4 No 20mm dia holes bored through the 25mm thick baseplate on each post, secured by 4 No 16 mm throughbolts.

Notion being to keep the bottom logs up out of the mud and grass and ensure the drying wind can whistle through under.

I was quite pleased with my efforts.

DSC00393.JPG

DSC00394.JPG

DSC00395.JPG

Edited by difflock
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, trigger_andy said:

Well handy. :)

Why do you leave the split logs so long? They must be close to 1m long, no? I see a local firewood processor stacks them at that length too. 

Well as long as you dinny grass me up tay Big J,

Nominally 1.0m, simply for handy(bale spike) mechanical handling, ease of stacking and good exposure to drying winds.

simply because thats how its done in Germany, an France, an Belgium, etc etc etc.

An anyway the splitter only takes 1100mm max

(But post Brexit, I shall, of course revert to fathoms, groats an yards etc etc)

P.S.

This time I started cutting out the worst(but the best of burning) knots, and tossing them straight into the big crate. As long as the outer ring of billets is full length(with perhaps a few in the middles as well) , most of the rest can be shorter straight lengths from between the knots, which knots are a big problem with my shitty misshapen Lodgepole Pine.

Slightly more time consuming, but probably worthwhile.

Edited by difflock
  • Like 1