Log splitter gone slow

farmboy3

Evening all, my log splitter cycle time has gone really slow of late so I’ve replaced both filters and oil also replaced the splitter valve as it was damaged anyway but it is still running slow but the splitting pressure doesn’t seem to be affected,has anybody else had anything like this happen to their splitter?

7 hours ago, farmboy3 said:

Do you mean the pumps knackered?

If it has a tandem pump and splits well but at a reduced speed then it sounds like one of the tandem pair is not working. Without seeing the layout it's hard to say but both pumps are combined to give the high speed then when a certain pressure is reached one pump dumps to tank and the other does all the work. I expect there is a shuttle valve between the two outputs

• Like 1

1 hour ago, farmboy3 said:

Can they be repaired ?

No but they should only cost a couple of hundred quid, they are  standard sizes and probably 1P series.. Keep the old one as they split apart and each section can be cannibalised to make a good one if the same one wears out .

You really need to check a few things before deciding it is a pump problem.

few thoughts

i have smaller honda, the 340 but last one was a 390 on a small pump and was more like 19 litres not gallons per min.

my hydraulics place recommended a tank of 3 times max pump volume to prevent boiling - how much oil does yours hold?

get a pressure and flow test done, that will be definitive.

pump be cheap enough.

are you running engine flat out to split?