I always fancied a .50 cal

lux

1 hour ago, Khriss said:

Oddly way before Barrett made that amazing 50cal sniper rifle, we had similar in 1940.

Not massively different really-think we missed a trick there, as a good sniper will stop a tank ( driver headshot,  sights or commander or comms, ) easily. K

Wtf?

That thing was obsolete the day it was made.Tank Armor was already too thick by the 1930s for a Boyes to scratch it. It needed an armored vehicle to transport it and the ammo.

"As for a good sniper" taking headshots at crewmen/comms/sights etc"with that abortion of a gun,You are living in fantasy land.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Mike Hill said:

Wtf?

That thing was obsolete the day it was made.Tank Armor was already too thick by the 1930s for a Boyes to scratch it. It needed an armored vehicle to transport it and the ammo.

"As for a good sniper" taking headshots at crewmen/comms/sights etc"with that abortion of a gun,You are living in fantasy land.

Calm down ! Bit of history revisited is all ;) an what did we replace it with !.... yup the PIAT ! ?

First time I heard a 50 Browning go off was at Warcop ranges in Cumbria. Waiting to have our first go at firing 76mm cannon on a Saladin, when next to us was a Chieftain firing the 50 ranging gun, firing a burst of three spaced rounds. A sound I'll never forget, bop, bop, bop, then again, followed by the biggest noise in the World, so I thought, the 120mm main armament on the Chieftain going off. My trousers were very nearly filled with the brown stuff. My face seemed to melt and grow backwards. Just shows how old I am, talking about ranging guns, not lasers!

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, David Cropper said:

Our gunnery instructor told us that the Chinese armoured regiments were advised if they heard the three ranging rounds hitting their tank, you had 8 seconds before the big bugger arrived.

If that! Am still 15% deaf in the right ear from a 105mm letting go whilst I was abt 10m away. Bit of warning might have been nice.... K

Edited by Khriss
Video wasn't as funny as I would have liked