Pollards, the forgotten art-discussion

Tony Croft aka hamadryad

Wow you really do have it in for me dont you? that wasnt the post you were quoting me on plus that post of mine with "suffering" in it was more a light hearted joke but it seems i am mr target for you so go ahead i can take it. I must say though you are taking your time to come up with any proof that pollarding is good... i have been waiting for you to prove it to me since i started in this forum but all you seem to want to do is attack me and misquote me. I want to hear the moment you went "ah pollarding is good" what were you reading? what was it that changed your mind? thats all i wanted from you but lets just play your childish games instead go on give me a hard time about something else its obviously what your wanting out of this...

Wow you really do have it in for me dont you? that wasnt the post you were quoting me on plus that post of mine with "suffering" in it was more a light hearted joke but it seems i am mr target for you so go ahead i can take it. I must say though you are taking your time to come up with any proof that pollarding is good... i have been waiting for you to prove it to me since i started in this forum but all you seem to want to do is attack me and misquote me. I want to hear the moment you went "ah pollarding is good" what were you reading? what was it that changed your mind? thats all i wanted from you but lets just play your childish games instead go on give me a hard time about something else its obviously what your wanting out of this...

Right, firstly ive not got it in for you, thats just silly! I do hold my ground though, if you cant handle the heat stay the hell out my kitchen!:lol:

Give me a few days, you obviously want to kno why i believe pollarding is good, but the many posts ive made and links to info are not enough so I will have to amass something special for a special boy!:001_smile:

One thing i never do is back peddle!:001_rolleyes:

Edited by Tony Croft aka hamadryad

Managed to convince the Wildlife Trust in keeping this as a monolith last year and I checked up on her yesterday to find that she is sprouting epicormics on her trunk. We left the giraffes on to give her a fighting chance and bingo! The beasties and birds love it! :thumbup:

59765a9635e6f_Newpics025.jpg.a6dec7963f22c754d59f3a433a165d8f.jpg

59765a9631b94_Newpics024.jpg.d5878d8d29683206a07dcb45b5e2f3aa.jpg

59765a962f8d5_Newpics022.jpg.c5da9ad475700bdd77fde69211b8534e.jpg

59765a962b628_Newpics023.jpg.084eafc687531b92708d4b6fb5537163.jpg

Managed to convince the Wildlife Trust in keeping this as a monolith last year and I checked up on her yesterday to find that she is sprouting epicormics on her trunk. We left the giraffes on to give her a fighting chance and bingo! The beasties and birds love it! :thumbup:

The giraffes are not the key here, the haloing is, by design or default.

found this group of vets @ Hatfield forest yesterday, It took me a while to recognise the portion of hatfield i was in, as it had been cleared of scrub, it was once a thicket! The old ash oak and hawthorns that have been left are shooting like crazy, a great move on thier part. I think its part of re opening the old grazing regime.:thumbup1:

oh and yes they are pollards too!

59765a9638396_charlie25th42011126.jpg.e9e5e1953cee604e582132d419846391.jpg

59765a963ccbe_charlie25th42011134.jpg.548e72cc04e4b619919d3e0c64d95fbc.jpg

59765a963fe68_charlie25th42011148.jpg.b9e9d69725a2bbb721379251f981ac00.jpg

59765a96422c4_charlie25th42011175.jpg.ed530e7c474f22d152a7c08fd6d145ea.jpg

59765a96443c1_charlie25th42011156.jpg.250fc48a27727c322d047870be9daed1.jpg

"To address the lack of viable foliar growth about the crown it is usual to consider improving light

penetration to the stem and crown by thinning and or reducing surrounding competitive growth

(‘releasing’ or ‘haloing’ the tree)"

thats what i said, kind of:thumbup:

"To address the lack of viable foliar growth about the crown it is usual to consider improving light

penetration to the stem and crown by thinning and or reducing surrounding competitive growth

(‘releasing’ or ‘haloing’ the tree)"

thats what i said, kind of:thumbup:

Grateful to you and Hama. Downloaded the 'red bit' and copied to file for future reference. Interesting stuff and something I will take in my brain on future site visits. :thumbup1: