Stihl 024 bar movement

owain038

1 hour ago, owain038 said:

Cover does sit down perfectly flush around the edges with no gaps. Also have used 3 covers and two sets of studs so I think I can rule them two options out..

...but the cover should not just sit down to the bar but must clamp it tight, that is what stops the tip moving up and down.

• Like 1

Blimey this is getting a bit muddled. Couple of facts:

1) The location of the bar the saw case is 'roughly' located with the collar on the bar studs and the slot in the bar. This is not adequate for anything other than assembling the bar/chain and clutch cover onto the saw. 

2) The side cover must clamp the bar to the saw for running purposes  (and maintain chain tension etc). As mentioned hold the top of the bar up when the clutch cover is tightened down. 

Clearly something is not right with this saw. I've just pulled the clutch cover off my MS260, for a look see, taken some measurements and pictures.... all Stihl parts, just as it came out of the factory. 

First up bar stud collar and bar slot. ...

IMG_20190625_094449.jpg

IMG_20190625_094545.jpg

Edited by bmp01
Corrections
  • Like 2

Bar clamping info: 

Bar is 4.5 mm thick

Stud collar height is 4.0 mm

Tin plate is 0.5 mm thick

This assembly does have a screw to hold the tin plate in place, studs screw down to saw body, so in this case the collar height is effectively reduced by 0.5 mm ----> bar 4.5 mm thick over collar height 3.5 mm.

IMG_20190625_094754.jpg

IMG_20190625_094734.jpg

IMG_20190625_094707.jpg

• Like 1

This is how the bar sits on the studs, note the collar is below the bar surface. 

Even then the clutch cover has 2 counter bores in it, so if the collar sits pround (above) of the bar surface it should still clamp....

If the above is ok then either,

-the clutch cover is sitting on its outside edge, maybe it needs tightening down some more ?

-the thread on the bar stud doesn't go deep enough so the nut is binding on the stud before it clamps on the cover, is the cover loose as well the bar ?

HTH

bmp01

IMG_20190625_101904.jpg

IMG_20190625_101807.jpg

IMG_20190625_094847.jpg

Edited by bmp01
damned auto correct
  • Like 3

I’ve looked at this thread,  scratching my head,,, it seems like your bar studs collars are sitting  a little high when you put your bar on, albeit you have a thinner bar and don’t have a backing plate. Then to compound the lot your chain/bar cover seems to have the slot for the chain adjuster in the wrong place. Or there is not one there. I know a lot of bar/chain covers are interchangeable with saws, but what saws idk.

i can see the mark pointed out by bmp01. Which is the likely cause of your problem. But as said before, if you had slightly thicker bar and a backing plate. The cover your using may have been ok.

i don’t have a 024 to check but I do have a 260  and the cover has a slot for the chain adjuster. See my 260 cover pic

one other thing that may or may not be aggravating your issues, which way did you put your new bar studs in. Short or long side thread into the case

E007040E-E2C4-438A-BFCD-9D7430319A2F.jpeg

• Like 1