Unimog 1700 hard to start in the cold

Willu1700l

Hi just wondering how your unimogs start in the cold weather cos mine is a pig to start. Is this normal or have any of you adapted yours with a glow plug? Mine has no glow plug at all.

I think i need to adjust the pump timing a bit cos she smokes like hell when she is cold.

Any ideas on better starting ?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi just wondering how your unimogs start in the cold weather cos mine is a pig to start. Is this normal or have any of you adapted yours with a glow plug? Mine has no glow plug at all.

I think i need to adjust the pump timing a bit cos she smokes like hell when she is cold.

Buy a new one!!!

Not an expert on merc but check for a glow start on inlet manifold. A fuel pipe going to it with large spade connector. If this has failed you will struggle. Dont use easy start on a good engine ever. It wipes the top edge off the piston ring off instantly thats why engines get addicted cos it nackers them.

Is it on red??? they smoke like a bonfire when cold on red.

Have you changed your fuel filters recently??, they tend to collect water, which freezes.

If you are on red, when did you buy it??, they only put antifreeze in it in the winter months, so if you buy it in June and use it in December you can have problems with "waxing".

Are you running on red or DERV?

When was the mog fuel tank last filled up & from ware?

If it is from your own bulk tank when was this last filled up?

What was the temperature last night/today ware you live?

If you have summer diesel then –5deg C is enough for waxing to happen.

Regardless of the above red always smokes more than DERV though om352 always smoke more than om366 and om366 start easer anyway.

If your red is from your bulk tank and was purchased prior to mid oct/1st Nov then it stands a high chance of being summer grade so you can winterise you fuel by adding 30% kero (28sec gas oil) witch is good for down to –10degC or mix at 50% for –15degC though always mix at the lowest % you can. #

FYI: if you are on winter fuel then 30% kero is good for down to –20degC (winter fuel is good down to –15degC anyway) #

# = Note kero is not road fuel or taxed as per red so you should pay the revenue on it to HMRC to make up the difference between kero and red or kero and DERV.

If you have a “start pilote” then get a refill aerosol which will help cold starting when very cold

got a 1750 with the same problem, set all the controls 'ready to start' when you switch off the night before, especially the hand throttle , it seems to ease the starting on ours.better to be frozen on than off i suppose!

Sorry to derail a bit, but not being a mog owner, what do mean by starting controls- i take it you dont just get in and turn a key?