wheres the date on my sequoia harness??

Stephen Blair

hi

ill try and keep this short.

the manufactures information is king. look at the maximum lifes on the paperwork that should come with any item of PPE and it wii 99 % of the time have an obsolence period.

in the absence of that for textile ppe the rule of thumb is max 5 year work 10 year shelf what ever you get to first ie 9 years in the box still only one year working.

the assessment of items by an arb loler inspector is based on visual so he will be looking at phisical conditions, and rules like age, but so many people throw there instructions away it makes life hard.

as a user YOU have a duty to retain pertinant information, ie that big lable attached to the harness when you buy it.

im a bit imbarresed for the inspector who could not find the date!! but if it was the first time he had seen that harness he may not know where the label was

cheers

kev

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

in the absence of that for textile ppe the rule of thumb is max 5 year work 10 year shelf what ever you get to first ie 9 years in the box still only one year working.

kev

:confused1:So an item can become unfit for use in the box ??

Thats just crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:confused1:

the date shouldn't really be relevent, preferable but not at all essential

So if the date isnt essential, how would you know if its 10year shelf life has expired, so a date is surely relevant? If Loler inspectors are having conflicting views over what is or isnt relevant, how on earth can we the end-users be expected to keep our kit in order? If its simply a case of an inspectors interpretation of the rules and regs, then imo thats just wrong. Time the house was put in order.

So if the date isnt essential, how would you know if its 10year shelf life has expired, so a date is surely relevant? If Loler inspectors are having conflicting views over what is or isnt relevant, how on earth can we the end-users be expected to keep our kit in order? If its simply a case of an inspectors interpretation of the rules and regs, then imo thats just wrong. Time the house was put in order.

Andy I think we are making all this too complicated.

As I understand things, our equipment has only to be inspected by "a competent person" with no vested interest in the condition of the equipment.

I would really like to see the "legislation" that says a 10 year old unused harness, kept in a box, can be condemned.

The reason most assessors condemn things based on age is to cover their own back side, IMHO.

Andy I think we are making all this too complicated.

As I understand things, our equipment has only to be inspected by "a competent person" with no vested interest in the condition of the equipment.

I would really like to see the "legislation" that says a 10 year old unused harness, kept in a box, can be condemned.

The reason most assessors condemn things based on age is to cover their own back side, IMHO.

as arbocop says

the manufactures information is king. look at the maximum lifes on the paperwork that should come with any item of PPE and it wii 99 % of the time have an obsolence period.

The reason most assessors condemn things based on age is to cover their own back side

sorry its to comply with manufacturers info and relevant en testing ppe regs and loler

also if you have a harness sat in a box for 10 years you are doing something wrong

if you really want me to trawl through to find legislation for 10 yr life i will

i have seen it somewhere but the basic will be refere to manufacturers info

so check your info on your harness and see what it says:thumbup:

as arbocop says

The reason most assessors condemn things based on age is to cover their own back side

sorry its to comply with manufacturers info and relevant en testing ppe regs and loler

also if you have a harness sat in a box for 10 years you are doing something wrong

if you really want me to trawl through to find legislation for 10 yr life i will

i have seen it somewhere but the basic will be refere to manufacturers info

so check your info on your harness and see what it says:thumbup:

If say it is so Bob, I will believe you, but how texstiles can deteriate in a box is beyond me:confused1:

As you know I am lucky if I get 2 years out of a harness, so it won't really affect me, just seems daft to me :001_smile:

Thanks for the info :001_smile:

My Stein Plasma may become a cycling helmet in a couple of years time.

The Austria Duo appears to have quite a long life for my intensity of use.

I suppose it would make sense to have the L.O.L.E.R. done by the the same

organisation as the CS 38 training.

thanks again, tim

If say it is so Bob, I will believe you, but how texstiles can deteriate in a box is beyond me:confused1:

textiles start to deteriorate from the moment of production. This is accelerated greatly by UV light. Think of how brittle a bit of polyprop becomes when left out to the elements