No work today.

Mick Stockbridge

I did exactly the same with this shot mate, years ago, winters morning, frosty and more or less pitch black to the naked eye. Its still my favourite all-time pic. :001_smile:

Stunning Photo John. :thumbup1:

My Canadian cousins laugh there heads of when it snows here :lol:, they get up to 6' of snow and life goes on, we get a few inches and shut down.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reading this thread with some amusement ...:biggrin:

Not meaning any offence to anybody at all but up here we get a fair bit more snow than most places in the UK...

What you've had down in kent is nothing...

We still work in the snow, my lads were still out thisafternoon on a thinning job ontop of a hill in blizzard conditions, we were still doing tree work and my pole squad were still felling..

The roads dont stop flowing, cars and vehicles are not left abandoned...

It's the same as any other day, just a bit nippier and a bit more tedious work.. however, if we didn't then we would have whole weeks with no work at all which just wont do.

I've seen both side of the coin, and I have to say things seem alot more sensible in Scotland rather than England... half an inch of snow in England and the whole country shuts down, schools close, people banic buy at tescos... mental! :001_smile:

John - that is an amazing picture mate.... you should be proud of that.. very very nice.

WTF are we whingeing about......??:blushing::blushing:

To be fair....its dry cold. A lot easier to handle than wet and windy weather:001_smile: like the weather you have.

As I answered my phone today, I took my glove off, and couldnt get it back on as it had frozen into a claw! Still no longjohns! Still waiting for cold weather!!!!:001_tt2:

I have to agree to a certain extent with you Matt. However, we are n longer equipped to deal with conditions. Back in my youth, if you lived in the country, you owned a land-rover to get about. farmers cleared the village roads, council workers who lived in the village would shovel grit onto farmers trailers and shovel it on to the roads. As kids we walked to school, they werent closed for any reason. If old people needed anything, the farmers tractors would pick it up from the local shops. I think the trouble now is the community spirit has gone, many dont know their neighbours, let alone help them. The village schools have closed, meaning longer distances to travel. Work places have to maintain a temperature so staff are comfy. Insurance and the "blame" society means if someone slips on ice, they sue your backside off, its all just not worth the risk anymore.

I have to agree to a certain extent with you Matt. However, we are n longer equipped to deal with conditions. Back in my youth, if you lived in the country, you owned a land-rover to get about. farmers cleared the village roads, council workers who lived in the village would shovel grit onto farmers trailers and shovel it on to the roads. As kids we walked to school, they werent closed for any reason. If old people needed anything, the farmers tractors would pick it up from the local shops. I think the trouble now is the community spirit has gone, many dont know their neighbours, let alone help them. The village schools have closed, meaning longer distances to travel. Work places have to maintain a temperature so staff are comfy. Insurance and the "blame" society means if someone slips on ice, they sue your backside off, its all just not worth the risk anymore.

Shame that is! Same goes for Sweden too unfortunatly....:ahhhhh:

its the volume of traffic, it just needs 1 car to get a wheel stuck and everything grinds to a halt, even where i am is tame compared to city traffic but it stops me from working any more than a few miles from home. Paying for lads sitting in a van comes out the bosses pocket, it cant be stuck on the job any more in the current climate..

its the volume of traffic, it just needs 1 car to get a wheel stuck and everything grinds to a halt, even where i am is tame compared to city traffic but it stops me from working any more than a few miles from home. Paying for lads sitting in a van comes out the bosses pocket, it cant be stuck on the job any more in the current climate..

That is soo true, but is the flip side of Andy's post- people seem incapable of leaving their cars behind, donning an extra layer or two and walking to work, and kids dont seem to be allowed to walk anywhere anymore either:confused1: